Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/04/10 00:32:32 UTC

Typical process for getting approval for events/sponsorship

(Note the mixing of public and private lists.)

ConCom folks,

Please see this thread:

    Events Approval
    http://s.apache.org/1dc

The first email should be enough. No need to read it all.

So, what I'm wondering is: what is the typical process for getting approval
for events or event sponsorship like this?

Does ConCom need to be notified every time? Or is there a threshold? So,
for example, if you're just doing a small meet-up, then there's no need.

Also, I understand that project PMCs typically need to approve events,
sponsorship, and branding proposals. Do you know how this is usually done?
Would an a proposal like that be made to the dev@ list? Is that sufficient
to demonstrate PMC approval? Or are these requests usually CCed to
private@also? Note in this instance, the request as made to
marketing@,
which is a public list, but was split off from dev@ for convenience.

Thanks!

--
NS

Re: Typical process for getting approval for events/sponsorship

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Just following up on this. (Sorry to be a pain!)

There are a few questions in the last email that need clarification before
we're able to update our events / sponsorship approval process.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the response, Ross. (And sorry for the late response.)

One thing that just came up on trademarks@ is that Shane mentioned ConCom
is the place to discuss branding/trademarks, as they relate to events. I
just wanted to check that this was your understanding also. i.e. I have a
few ideas for that event management process you mention ;) but I am trying
to figure out which lists need to be notified.

My current thinking is that, at a minimum, we ask people to:

1) Send an email to concom@ with [event details] and CC the CloudStack PMC

2) Send an email to trademarks@ with [branding details] and CC the
CloudStack PMC

Based on Shane's feedback, I am uncertain now whether 2) is needed. Or
perhaps another option is to combine them both. We could have a guide to
what sort of information you need to put in a proposal, and then ask that
it is sent to concom@, trademarks@, and private@cloudstack.a.o for lazy
consensus.

What are your thoughts?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Gotcha.

I guess the source of my confusion here is what "PMC approval" actually
means, in practice. My knee-jerk reaction was that private@ should be CCed
or something. But I guess, as a project, we are free to say that we're
going to be doing event/sponsership proposals on marketing@ and they can
pass by lazy consensus there. And if you're a PMC member and you want input
into that, then you had better subscribe to the marketing@ list. Does that
sound about right? If so, I expect we'll want to at least write that down
somewhere.

I also expect that we should add a step to the event/sponsorship approval
process that includes *notifying* ConCom, but makes it explicit that this
isn't an approval step. Is concom@apache.org the preferred address for
that? And would you prefer it as a CC on the original proposal, or as a

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Hi Noah,