Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/05 15:18:10 UTC

[GSOC] Update to document

Hi guys,

I modified the format of our "report", I moved the proposals to a chapter and started a new chapter called "updates".
Each of you should use a section to write a small report/updates on your progress so far.

You can see the doc at:
http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/docs-4.3-gsoc-guide/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Apache_CloudStack-4.2.0-CloudStack_GSoC_Guide-en-US.pdf

Your respective sections should be self-explanatory when you checkout the code.

We will use this for the mid-summer evaluation that Google wants/needs.

A good example of progress report is from Ian at:

http://imduffy15.blogspot.co.uk

You can include specific things about your project but also things related to CloudStack itself, what you are learning (jira, git etc..) and what you contributed so far outside your project (e.g Meng gave us the quick install guide for 4.1 and Dharmesh is looking at a significant update to the code with CLOUDSTACK-212)

Cheers,

-Sebastien

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
@sebgoa: done. Twitter is not popular at my country, Facebook instead. I
created a new one. Hello world :D

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 6, 2013, at 7:14 AM, Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will update the report. I am aware that a "Intro to Mesos" post is also
> pending from my side. Want to write on my experience while doing changes on
> large and active code base too, but that is gona take some time.
>
> I am little off in my timeline. I plan to get mesos on cloudstack working
> by midterm and shift focus on cloudformation from there. I would also like
> to know if there is any particular expectation.

In your case, I would like to see an intro to Mesos (your first post, plus basic quick install steps, plus examples of running jobs in hadoop and mpi), plus basic steps of starting VMs in cloudstack and setting up Mesos on those VMs. Plus a discussions on how stackmate will help with the deployment and how it differs from whirr/provisionr. While stackamte is an interesting way to go, I also think that you could easily patch whirr to provide a "driver" for Mesos, it would be a nice contribution to whirr.

-sebastien

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 5, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:

> @Sebastien - Is it ok to just copy and paste over what I had in that
> blog post? (Excluding the opening image and closing paragraph)

yes no problem, I'd love to see some info on your jenkins setup though :)

and you can add the snapshots too...

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
> I'd love to see some info on your jenkins setup though :)

Planning a blog post on the configuration to follow up on the
screencast I did awhile back. I emailed Prasanna earlier in the week,
I'm going to work with him to get my jenkins setup along with some
static analysis with sonar source for the main build on the
buildacloud Jenkins.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 5, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:

> Sorry to create two emails in a row...
>
> Just in terms of the Google wants/needs deadline on the 29th, is there
> anything you guys, the cloudstack community specifically want to see?

I am going to check exactly what Google requires, the evaluation will be submitted by your mentor: Abhi :)

In general I think a prototype demo and seeing your code committed is really what we would like.

So don't be afraid to commit, if you don't want to break the existing setup we can created a feature branch for you. But we'd rather see lots of small commits than a large chunk at the end.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.

Re: [GSOC] Update to document

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.