Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alexander Sabourenkov <sc...@lxnt.info> on 2003/04/11 12:50:26 UTC

trouble installing swig bindings

Subversion 0.20.1, FreeBSD 4.6.2:

When doing gmake install-swig-py, libtool complains:

mv: rename _client.so to _client.soU: No such file or directory
libtool: install: error: relink `_client.la' with the above command before
installing it

(full output is at http://lxnt.info/svn-swig-py/make-install-swig-py-log ).

consequentally, no _*.so files get installed.

SWIG is 1.3.16 . At first I installed 1.3.19, but ./configure prints a warning
  that 1.3.16 is required and then gmake swig-py breaks not finding Python.h
and libtool errors (like ' unrecognized option `-rpath'') if I define
EXTRA_CFLAGS to point to its location.

--

./lxnt

Re: trouble installing swig bindings

Posted by Alexander Sabourenkov <sc...@lxnt.info>.
Greg Stein wrote:
> try:
>
> $ rm subversion/bindings/swig/python/*.c
> $ make install-swig-py    # note that gmake shouldn't be necessary
>
> It may be that the bindings did not get properly rebuilt at some point.
> There are still some nigglies in the build system for the bindings.

Hm. This didn't help. I've tried this on 0.20.1 before I wrote the original
letter, and I just tried this on r5610 with SWIG-1.3.19. Same results.

Maybe there are some known issues with swig bindings on FreeBSD?

>>SWIG is 1.3.16 . At first I installed 1.3.19, but ./configure prints a
>>warning that 1.3.16 is required and then gmake swig-py breaks not finding
>> Python.h and libtool errors (like ' unrecognized option `-rpath'') if I
>>define EXTRA_CFLAGS to point to its location.
>

> The configure script was updated the other day to allow 1.3.19. That is in
> the SVN trunk, and will appear in the 0.21 release.
>
> Regarding Python.h -- make sure that you have the development stuff
> installed for Python. (I'm not sure how it works on FreeBSD, but under
> RedHat, I'd install the python-devel RPM).

That's a FreeBSD 4.6.2, and I hand-installed Python there. The errors I
mentioned (concerning Python.h) were most probably due to ./configure not
setting up some paths somewhere while not disabling swig-* targets altogether.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:50:26PM +0400, Alexander Sabourenkov wrote:
> Subversion 0.20.1, FreeBSD 4.6.2:
>
> When doing gmake install-swig-py, libtool complains:
>
> mv: rename _client.so to _client.soU: No such file or directory
> libtool: install: error: relink `_client.la' with the above command before
> installing it
>
> (full output is at http://lxnt.info/svn-swig-py/make-install-swig-py-log ).
>
> consequentally, no _*.so files get installed.

try:

$ rm subversion/bindings/swig/python/*.c
$ make install-swig-py    # note that gmake shouldn't be necessary

It may be that the bindings did not get properly rebuilt at some point.
There are still some nigglies in the build system for the bindings.

> SWIG is 1.3.16 . At first I installed 1.3.19, but ./configure prints a
> warning that 1.3.16 is required and then gmake swig-py breaks not finding
>  Python.h and libtool errors (like ' unrecognized option `-rpath'') if I
> define EXTRA_CFLAGS to point to its location.

The configure script was updated the other day to allow 1.3.19. That is in
the SVN trunk, and will appear in the 0.21 release.

Regarding Python.h -- make sure that you have the development stuff
installed for Python. (I'm not sure how it works on FreeBSD, but under
RedHat, I'd install the python-devel RPM).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/