Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Mike Verdone <mi...@pason.com> on 2005/07/20 19:39:56 UTC

"The application server rejected establishment of the connection"

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Derby in server mode, but for some reason I can't
connect to the server. The application I'm working on has two processes.
The one that starts first gets an embedded connection to the database
"arddb", and then spawns a server on localhost port 14502. The second
process then tries to connect to the server via localhost.

The database works fine in embedded mode. I can create tables and work
with data no problem. I am certain that the server has started-- for one
there are no error messages, and also the error message I get when I try
to connect is different than when I try to connect with no server
running. The error is this:

com.ibm.db2.jcc.c.DisconnectException: The application server rejected
establishment of the connection.  An attempt was made to access a
database, arddb, which was not found.

How can arddb be not found when I'm working with it on the embedded
connection?

I've experimented with authentication settings but as far as I can tell
I don't even get that far. I created my own authenticator class that
logs a message and returns true. I installed it like this:

stmt.executeUpdate("CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY(" +
                 "'derby.authentication.provider', "
                 + "'com.pason.ard.db.DbUserAuthenticator')");

No messages are logged, so I don't think I've even hit the
authentication stage. The URL for the server connection is this:

jdbc:derby:net://localhost:14502/arddb

and I pass user and password as fields in a Properties object when I
connect.

I just don't understand why it won't let me connect. Any ideas?

Mike.

Re: "The application server rejected establishment of the connection"

Posted by Mike Verdone <mi...@pason.com>.
Nevermind, problem solved.

Seems the issue was that when I was connected via embedded I was
supplying a path to the database, but when I connected via the server I
couldn't specify the path, and there was no database in the default
path. The solution was to set derby.system.home to where I wanted the
database to go, and then not specify a path in either connection type.

Mike.