Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/01 14:25:58 UTC

Log level for Mailet Exceptions

There are only two methods that integrate Mailet logging with James:

	MailetContext.log(String);
	MailetContext.log(String, Throwable);

At the moment, both of these log at the INFO level.  The problem is that if
someone decides that they only want warnings and errors, then Mailet
Exceptions are lost.  Unfortunately, the continued lack of proper log
support in the Mailet API means that Mailet authors have no control over
when log entries are recorded.

Entries like "ToProcessor: Sending mail
org.apache.james.core.MailImpl@177115 to transport" should arguably at
DEBUG.  The RemoteDelivery mailet is especially verbose.  Some of the
information is quite useful, other entries are not.

Currently we're stuck with this problem, so we have to pick a global
compromise between verbosity and lose of critical information.  Until this
problem can be fixed, at the least exceptions thrown by a mailet should be
considered a warning, if not an error.  True, some of them aren't, but we're
still stuck with a compromise, and better to assume that an exception is
important than to discard it.

	--- Noel

Re: Log level for Mailet Exceptions

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Danny Angus wrote:

>>Currently we're stuck with this problem, so we have to pick a global
>>compromise between verbosity and lose of critical information.  Until this
>>problem can be fixed, at the least exceptions thrown by a mailet should be
>>considered a warning, if not an error.  True, some of them
>>aren't, but we're
>>still stuck with a compromise, and better to assume that an exception is
>>important than to discard it.
>>

>As far as I'm concerned the logging of mailets should be an issue for mailet
>developers, developers are free to use commons logging or anything else in
>their mailets, as is the case in the servlet API.

Danny:

Have to jump in and disagree with you on this (partially :-) ).  The
issue of logging is firtly a management issue - not a developer issue.
 Logging information crossing boundaries of multiple application and
frameworks, coordinated under a single management context is absolutely
important.  Take for example the execution of James, some mailest, an
ORB, and throw in a few Servlets - if the logging management is not
unified it becomes impossible to seperate operational management from
the developer maindset.  Today I can run all of the above using a single
logging strategy and keep logging tools and targets seperate from the
individual implementations.

Will this be true for Mailets?

Cheers, Steve.

>d.
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

RE: Log level for Mailet Exceptions

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
So you don't mind discarding exceptions?  Or do we simple document that
administrators should not set the mailet log to anything higher than info?

	--- Noel

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Info?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.