Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com> on 2018/06/25 12:08:30 UTC

Current cloudstack prebuilt images wrong VR address

Hello, Devs, Users.

Today I tried to deploy prebuilt centos image from

http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/

Previously I already used that images, so I just registered it and created
VM. Unfortunately, I found that cloud-init tries network GW as a source for
metadata when VM starts (to get the password, etc.). So, It doesn't use VR
to get information but attempts to fetch it from the network default GW.
So, It fails.

Next, I downloaded CentOS template which I have used for a year (also from
http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/), created VM and it works nice. It
fetches password and other information from correct VR endpoint.

I suppose there is the error in the current CentOS template. Maybe, someone
who has built them assumes that default GW is always VR which it may be
true sometimes (advanced zones, I suppose), but not in general (I use Basic
Zone).

Have a good day.

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Re: Current cloudstack prebuilt images wrong VR address

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hello. In my case VR is x.x.x.5, gw is x.x.x.1. It tries x.x.x.1, dhcp
offer is from.5. As I said older templates work well, as expected. Current
is incorrect (in my case), it looks like it uses gw as metadata source, not
an VR.

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi all, I'll check this in the following days when I'm back from holiday.

Does the debian or ubuntu template work as expected?

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
ah, you are right sorry nux

--
Daan

Re: Current cloudstack prebuilt images wrong VR address

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Yes, Daan.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Stephan, Ivan,

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de>.
Hi!

AFAIK, the password reset script always tries to connect to TCP/8080 on the
server that offered the dhcp lease. Which usually is the default gateway.
If you're running an isolated network with redundant VR, there was an iptables
rule on the VR blocking the host-IP, so that the request couldn't succeed.

That issue [1] has recently been fixed for 4.11.1.0.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/2544

cheers,

- Stephan

Am Montag, den 25.06.2018, 19:08 +0700 schrieb Ivan Kudryavtsev:
> Hello, Devs, Users.
>
> Today I tried to deploy prebuilt centos image from
>
> http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/
>
> Previously I already used that images, so I just registered it and created
> VM. Unfortunately, I found that cloud-init tries network GW as a source for
> metadata when VM starts (to get the password, etc.). So, It doesn't use VR
> to get information but attempts to fetch it from the network default GW.
> So, It fails.
>
> Next, I downloaded CentOS template which I have used for a year (also from
> http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/), created VM and it works nice. It
> fetches password and other information from correct VR endpoint.
>
> I suppose there is the error in the current CentOS template. Maybe, someone
> who has built them assumes that default GW is always VR which it may be
> true sometimes (advanced zones, I suppose), but not in general (I use Basic
> Zone).
>
> Have a good day.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stephan Seitz

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de>.
Hi!

AFAIK, the password reset script always tries to connect to TCP/8080 on the
server that offered the dhcp lease. Which usually is the default gateway.
If you're running an isolated network with redundant VR, there was an iptables
rule on the VR blocking the host-IP, so that the request couldn't succeed.

That issue [1] has recently been fixed for 4.11.1.0.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/2544

cheers,

- Stephan

Am Montag, den 25.06.2018, 19:08 +0700 schrieb Ivan Kudryavtsev:
> Hello, Devs, Users.
>
> Today I tried to deploy prebuilt centos image from
>
> http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/
>
> Previously I already used that images, so I just registered it and created
> VM. Unfortunately, I found that cloud-init tries network GW as a source for
> metadata when VM starts (to get the password, etc.). So, It doesn't use VR
> to get information but attempts to fetch it from the network default GW.
> So, It fails.
>
> Next, I downloaded CentOS template which I have used for a year (also from
> http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/centos/), created VM and it works nice. It
> fetches password and other information from correct VR endpoint.
>
> I suppose there is the error in the current CentOS template. Maybe, someone
> who has built them assumes that default GW is always VR which it may be
> true sometimes (advanced zones, I suppose), but not in general (I use Basic
> Zone).
>
> Have a good day.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stephan Seitz