Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org> on 2015/05/08 19:51:56 UTC

Re: jena-spatial transaction handling

Hi Chris,

Responding on dev list for a wider audience if that's OK.

I looked a bit at jena-spatial, and it has the same issues with
transactions that the TextIndexLucene in jena-text previously had.
Basically it is not managing the transaction boundaries properly.
Additionally, jena-spatial is based on Lucene as well.  There is a ton of
duplicated code between the two projects.  I would suggest either combining
both projects into a single project or adding a common dependency that they
can both use.  That way we can get rid of all the duplicate code and have a
single place dealing with Lucene transaction logic.  Use the jena-text
transaction logic and ignore the transaction logic in jena-spatial when
combining.

I would recommend the first option of combining them into a single project
(maybe jena-external-index or something like that).  I think this route
might be better because I can imagine other types of indexes that we would
like to add, such as a temporal index (although since that is scalar (for
the most part), maybe it could be done directly in TDB instead of an
external index, since the B-Trees store things sorted).

-Stephen

Posted by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com>.
On 05/08/2015 06:51 PM, Stephen Allen wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Responding on dev list for a wider audience if that's OK.

No problem. (When I started writing the email it was more
suited to just-you and I didn't think to readdress it
when I'd finished ...)

Chris