Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Chow <ec...@macaucabletv.com> on 2004/04/01 09:32:26 UTC

Print PDF !!!

Hello,

I can embedded FOP in my program to produce PDF in runtime(based on the
instruction).

But, is there any way to directly print out the PDF with FOP api ???

Any example doing this ???

Eric

Re: Print PDF !!!

Posted by Jon Trauntvein <j....@comcast.net>.
Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Eric Chow wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can embedded FOP in my program to produce PDF in runtime(based on the
> > instruction).
> >
> > But, is there any way to directly print out the PDF with FOP api ???
>
> If you want to directly print your document from FOP output, then I suggest
> you use the Postscript generator instead of PDF. You can then just stream your
> postscript to your printer.
>
> There is no way to directly print a PDF from java. You can shell out to
> Acrobat server to print a PDF, but thats slow and expensive way of doing it.

If you don't have a postscript printer, you could alternatively shell
out to ghostscript in order to convert ps/pdf to your printer's native
language.

Regards,

Jon Trauntvein

Re: Print PDF !!!

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Or you can use FOP's AWT Renderer to print your XSL-FO document, not
going via PDF at all. Caveat: AWT output might look slightly different
from PDF output.

Some people use the Acrobat Reader command-line to print. See the
mailing list archives for details.

You could also print PDF using GhostScript.

On 01.04.2004 11:32:41 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Eric Chow wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can embedded FOP in my program to produce PDF in runtime(based on the
> > instruction).
> >
> > But, is there any way to directly print out the PDF with FOP api ???
>
> If you want to directly print your document from FOP output, then I suggest
> you use the Postscript generator instead of PDF. You can then just stream your
> postscript to your printer.
>
> There is no way to directly print a PDF from java. You can shell out to
> Acrobat server to print a PDF, but thats slow and expensive way of doing it.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Print PDF !!!

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Eric Chow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can embedded FOP in my program to produce PDF in runtime(based on the
> instruction).
>
> But, is there any way to directly print out the PDF with FOP api ???

If you want to directly print your document from FOP output, then I suggest
you use the Postscript generator instead of PDF. You can then just stream your
postscript to your printer.

There is no way to directly print a PDF from java. You can shell out to
Acrobat server to print a PDF, but thats slow and expensive way of doing it.

Chris