Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kevin kempter <ke...@kevinkempterllc.com> on 2008/03/25 22:25:57 UTC

Assert Failed

Hi List;

I'm somewhat new to svn. I checked out a source tree via this command:

svn checkout svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com

several directories down in the checked out tree I grabbed a file that
I needed to change. It's a windows ER Studio (Modeling Tool) file so I
copied the file to my windows VM (I'm running Mac OS X) and edited the
file. Once I saved my changes I copied the file back into the svn
directory.

Next I tried to check in my changes like this:

svn commit svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com

and I get this:

Assertion failed: (is_canonical(base, blen)), function svn_path_join,
file /SourceCache/subversion/subversion-16/subversion/subversion/
libsvn_subr/path.c, line 114.
Abort trap

My mac is running version 1.4.4

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
    compiled Nov 25 2007, 08:20:33

and our server where the repository lives (running CentOS) is running
version 1.4.2

# svn --version
svn, version 1.4.2 (r22196)
    compiled Mar 14 2007, 20:43:24

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice...

Re: Assert Failed

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> kevin kempter wrote:
>> Hi List;
>>
>> I'm somewhat new to svn. I checked out a source tree via this command:
>>
>> svn checkout svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com
>>
>> several directories down in the checked out tree I grabbed a file that
>> I needed to change. It's a windows ER Studio (Modeling Tool) file so I
>> copied the file to my windows VM (I'm running Mac OS X) and edited the
>> file. Once I saved my changes I copied the file back into the svn
>> directory.
>>

>> Next I tried to check in my changes like this:
>>
>> svn commit svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com
>
> You don't give the URL to the server when you commit.  You just do
>
> svn commit
>
> I suggest working through the free Subversion book for a basic work flow
> of using svn:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

FYI, I committed a patch to give a more friendly error message in the
use case described above.  I've also nominated it for inclusion in 1.5.

-Hyrum

Re: Assert Failed

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I'm somewhat new to svn. I checked out a source tree via this command:
>
> svn checkout svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com
>
> several directories down in the checked out tree I grabbed a file that I
> needed to change. It's a windows ER Studio (Modeling Tool) file so I
> copied the file to my windows VM (I'm running Mac OS X) and edited the
> file. Once I saved my changes I copied the file back into the svn directory.
>

> Next I tried to check in my changes like this:
>
> svn commit svn://svnserver.ourdomain.com

You don't give the URL to the server when you commit.  You just do

svn commit

I suggest working through the free Subversion book for a basic work flow of
using svn:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Regards,
Blair