Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Grove <ri...@singlecelled.org> on 2005/03/02 22:14:13 UTC

[users@httpd] port already occupied...

Hi,
I'm a complete newbie, and so hope that this mail is going to the appropriate spot...

Just downloaded Apache2.0.53, and no matter what I do at some point I see:
------
Only one usage of each socket address is mormally permitted... could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8080
------

I checked the lists and someone has suggested previously that there is probably some app already using this port. How do I find out? How do I change that app, or how do I configure apache to listen to some other port?
I want to use it to basically work up and check .php locally.

thanks,
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] port already occupied...

Posted by Gene <li...@Bomgardner.net>.
Richard Grove wrote:

> I checked the lists and someone has suggested previously that there is
> probably some app already using this port. How do I find out? How do I
> change that app, or how do I configure apache to listen to some other
> port?
> I want to use it to basically work up and check .php locally.
>
> thanks,
> Richard

I don't know what operating system you use, but:
    For Windows XP use -
netstat -b -p tcp

    For *nix (freebsd & the like) use
netstat -a
sockstat

I'm not sure about other OSs
 To make apache listen on a particular port use the 'Listen' directive
in httpd.conf

Best 'o' luck
Gene

Re: [users@httpd] port already occupied...

Posted by James Bannon <ja...@ntlworld.com>.
Richard Grove wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a complete newbie, and so hope that this mail is going to the
> appropriate spot...
>
> Just downloaded Apache2.0.53, and no matter what I do at some point I see:
> ------
> Only one usage of each socket address is mormally permitted... could
> not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8080
> ------
>
> I checked the lists and someone has suggested previously that there is
> probably some app already using this port. How do I find out? How do I
> change that app, or how do I configure apache to listen to some other
> port?
> I want to use it to basically work up and check .php locally.
>
> thanks,
> Richard

There's no network or you have the wrong IP address assigned (0.0.0.0
isn't a valid IP address). Try pinging the localhost and see what
happens (local adapter address 127.0.0.1). If you don't get a reply then
either your adapter set-up is broken (wrong adapter driver?) or there is
something wrong with the adapter itself. If you do get a reply then it
must be your Apache install that's caused the problem.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Jim Bannon.