Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Ruud Steltenpool, http://svg.startpagina.nl" <sv...@steltenpower.com> on 2006/10/16 05:41:05 UTC

RFE: making Batik fit for dummies, GUIs, shortcuts, on-line services

Batik is great, but i have some ideas to make it even better, make more
people use it especially, the keywords being fast and easy.

-provide alternatives for command-line scripting (it scares away
non-programmers)
-An installer that gives me shortcuts in my startmenu and on my desktop.
-on-line services on apache.org (web-interfaces for ttf2svg, the
pretty-printer and certainly the rasterizer, and a "WebStart Squiggle"
button. Batik is a lot better at detecting SVG errors than most/all
others, a validator.apache.org that gives the errors up to where Batik
stops rendering could be a limited but rather helpful tool.

Cheers,

Ruud

Re: RFE: making Batik fit for dummies, GUIs, shortcuts, on-line services

Posted by "Ruud Steltenpool, http://svg.startpagina.nl" <sv...@steltenpower.com>.
Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Hi Ruud.
>
> Ruud Steltenpool:
>> Batik is great, but i have some ideas to make it even better, make more
>> people use it especially, the keywords being fast and easy.
>>
>> -provide alternatives for command-line scripting (it scares away
>> non-programmers)
>
> Yeah, I think a GUI interface for using the transcoder (and ttf2svg is
> reasonable).  If you’d like to contribute, please do!

Here's a little contribution, some HTML:
http://steltenpower.com/batik_form.html

>> -An installer that gives me shortcuts in my startmenu and on my desktop.
>
> Sounds a bit platform specific.  If it could be just a shell
> script/batch file, that could be ok.

That would already help a lot, and take a little

>> -on-line services on apache.org (web-interfaces for ttf2svg, the
>> pretty-printer and certainly the rasterizer, and a "WebStart Squiggle"
>> button. Batik is a lot better at detecting SVG errors than most/all
>> others, a validator.apache.org that gives the errors up to where Batik
>> stops rendering could be a limited but rather helpful tool.
>
> So I do have the webstarted Squiggle on
> http://arc.mcc.id.au/batik-nightly/, but I guess you are asking for a
> more “official” one.

Yours is very nice, i linked it http://svg.startpagina.nl, but...
One at the Batik pages would make a lot more people notice it, those
pages are more official and trusted, and a release version instead of a
nightly is what many people probably prefer

> I’m not sure about the validator idea though, especially if it didn’t
> give any more information than just opening the document with Squiggle
> would give.  I think a proper SVG validator would be useful, though.
> It’d be good if validator.w3.org could do it.

You're right. I've hacked together a bit of code and made some noise at
w3.org and openclipart.org and especially at the last one it seems to
have started some activity on the matter.

Thanks,

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Hi Ruud.

Ruud Steltenpool: