Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de> on 2003/11/11 16:31:58 UTC

[configuration]More docs

Eric,

I am willing to produce some more docs about my changes. What is the
preferred way to do that? Changing the overview page? Of course a native
speaker should review my results ;-)

Some other point: The last patch includes the feature that each
configuration object can be transformed in a XML document (or at least
allows XML-like processing by firing SAXEvents) by using one of the
ConfigurationXMLReader classes. This is certainly something that needs
to be documented in some more detail, too.

Do you think it would make sense to add a createXMLReader() method (or
similar) to the Configuration interface? This method would be
implemented in the concrete classes by returning the proper
implementation of ConfigurationXMLReader. Then this feature could be
accessed directly through the interface.

Oli

RE: [configuration]More docs

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Oliver,

I would say that your English is better then 90% of the english speaking
world, so don't feel hesitant writing docs.  I recommend using the xdoc
format as that is native to Maven, and I would add maybe some "howto" docs..

Maybe  a: howto-configurationfactory.xml, howto-hierarchical.xml etc..

The createXMLReader is an interesting idea..  However, I think that maybe
instead it would be better to have a ConfigurationXMLDocument that took in a
Configuration object.  I am somewhat hesitant to add more methods to the
Configuration interface that arne't really directly related to retrieving
configuration values.  Especially if it releies on each concrete class
implementing it, as that starts to raise the bar more and more for adding
the underlying concrete implmentations...

Eric