Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2003/03/27 04:52:00 UTC

Re: Quick question about Torque's LargeSelect

Rogelio,

Please address your queries to the relevant mailing list, this will allow
everyone to see and comment on the result and will share the burden of
answering queries (note that I selected turbine-user rather than torque-user
for this particular query as it seems more relevant).

See below for the answers to your questions.

HTH,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

On 27/03/2003 2:16 PM, "Robles, Rogelio" <Ro...@experian.com>
wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> First my setup:
>
> Turbine 2.2
> Torque 3.0
> DB2 database
>

> First doubt, the DB2 adapter doesn't implement the setLimit setOffset,
> can I still use LargeSelect?
It should still work, but some of the benefit of trimming the result set
will be lost (the database will return all rows and the Village code will
eliminate the unwanted rows).  Note that I am not aware of LargeSelect being
used with DB2 or any other database that does not support limit and offset,
so you will need to test it (the code to build torque includes a test case
that should come in handy for this).

> In a Turbine webapp, where should the LargeSelect
> object be created to allow dataset navigation between page requests?
>
> a) In the Screen's doBuildTemplate method, then store the object with:
>
> data.getUser().setTemp("someName", largeSelect);
>
> doubt:
> but, isn't the object created again and again, which would not
> allow at all data "navigation" (next, prev page calls) because
> is not preserving its "state"" between calls? because is being
> replaced all the time from the temp storage area.
Like many others, I only use screen classes to perform security checks, most
of my code is in action classes and pull tools.

> b) In an action.
> In this way the object is created once, then put in the temp
> storage so the templates can use it at user's will.
>
> doubt:
> How do I call an action from a <A HREF=> tag? All the actions
> that I use are called from <FORM> tags
An action can be specified on a href using $link.setAction(), but this is
not how I normally set things up when using LargeSelect.  What I usually do
is have a bunch of search/sort criteria and a "Search" button (hence the
action call is in fact in a form tag).  I use the same form after the
search, only this time it will find the LargeSelect in user.Temp and adjust
its behaviour accordingly.

> c) Don't bother people and jump in the lake!...jikes?!
Bother the list - that is what it is there for.