Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/15 15:56:29 UTC

Remove obsolete RxJava code and keep RxJava2 only one

Hi

cxf-rt-rs-extension-rx ships the code for both (old) RxJava and RxJava2
code. It supports returning RxJava2 Flowable and Observable on the
server and accepting it on the client, and the same for the (old) RxJava
Observable...

While even the (old) RxJava code is very new for CXF, the reality is
that RxJava has been around for a while now and with RxJava2 embracing
org.reactivestreams, it's hard to see CXF users preferring to start with
the (old) RxJava.

The other minor problem is that cxf-rt-rs-extension-rx has optional
RxJava and RxJava2 deps to be able to ship the relevant code in the same
module and splitting it into 2 modules will be too much at this point.

I suggest that unless some users confirm (I CC to the users) that they
need to use the (old) RxJava code, then we just remove it and make
things much simpler...

Thanks, Sergey

Re: Remove obsolete RxJava code and keep RxJava2 only one

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Indeed, creating a new module specifically for RxJava is technically
clean, but creating it for a code which no one will probably use and
also adding one module to the large number of CXF modules, with only 2/3
Java files :-) is a bit problematic...

I guess I can keep it as is in 3.2.x but remove it once a new master
opens...

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
I'd still favour removing RxJava, if you would like to keep it then I
guess the new module would indeed have to be introduced

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
In my defense I'd say neither Jersey nor Resteasy has as many many
modules as CXF has, lol :-)

Sergey

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andriy

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andriy

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sergey,

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Well known issue :))
It is easy to add something to open source project
and really hard to remove :))))
you can start a VOTE :))))

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Remove obsolete RxJava code and keep RxJava2 only one

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1
for removing the old rxjava support

I would also be fine with it living in a separate module.

Christian

> Hi
>
> cxf-rt-rs-extension-rx ships the code for both (old) RxJava and RxJava2
> code. It supports returning RxJava2 Flowable and Observable on the server
> and accepting it on the client, and the same for the (old) RxJava
> Observable...
>
> While even the (old) RxJava code is very new for CXF, the reality is that
> RxJava has been around for a while now and with RxJava2 embracing
> org.reactivestreams, it's hard to see CXF users preferring to start with
> the (old) RxJava.
>
> The other minor problem is that cxf-rt-rs-extension-rx has optional RxJava
> and RxJava2 deps to be able to ship the relevant code in the same module
> and splitting it into 2 modules will be too much at this point.
>
> I suggest that unless some users confirm (I CC to the users) that they
> need to use the (old) RxJava code, then we just remove it and make things
> much simpler...
>
> Thanks, Sergey

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: Remove obsolete RxJava code and keep RxJava2 only one

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.