Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jo...@lotus.com on 2001/06/14 22:41:51 UTC

Wishlist item: System properties for debugging

When debugging, it would be _extremely_ useful if we could turn on and off
some of the Xerces features at the environmental level without having to
patch our code. Any chance of getting a set of system properties added
which would allow us to do so?

(In particular: I've got an application which works in one JRE and fails in
another. The failure _may_ have something to do with the Deferred DOM
support. But I'm calling Xerces in several places, and calling it from JAXP
which doesn't seen to expose the feature needed to force non-deferred mode.
The upshot is that I have to find all the instances and rewrite them from
JAXP to Xerces-specific. Not pleasant.)

Re: Wishlist item: System properties for debugging

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Joseph_Kesselman@lotus.com wrote:

> (In particular: I've got an application which works in one JRE and fails in
> another. The failure _may_ have something to do with the Deferred DOM
> support. But I'm calling Xerces in several places, and calling it from JAXP
> which doesn't seen to expose the feature needed to force non-deferred mode.
> The upshot is that I have to find all the instances and rewrite them from
> JAXP to Xerces-specific. Not pleasant.)

If I understand the problem correctly, one solution might be to expose
the deferred-DOM feature via the JAXP API.  I'll see if I can add the
code in to do this.

-Edwin