Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org> on 2005/08/31 19:08:24 UTC

A mod_mbox release ?

Hi list,

As most of you probably already know, we hit the Summer of Code
deadline. I've been committing a lot of mod_mbox stuff recently in
order to get the work done for today, and I'm pleased to say that
mod_mbox is now operational.

My development branch (httpd-mbox-if) has been heavily tested since I
started working on the project, thus allowing several bugs to be
located and fixed.

I'm now wondering about the near future of my branch, and what we
should do about it. I'd like to drop a milestone. How do we usually
proceed :

 - just tag my branch as tags/soc/ ?
 - merge the changes into trunk/ ?
 - release mod_mbox 0.2 ?

I have no idea, and the new committers guide does not say much about
it.

What about mail-archives.apache.org ? I think my work needs some kind
of profound review (segfaults ? security holes ?) before being using in
production. However, I'll be very proud to see m-a.a.org switching to
the new code.

Please note that a source tarball and a working binary debian package
are already built, but I guess there must be some kind of review for
these things, too.

Regards,
- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Vote for merging mod_mbox changes [Was: A mod_mbox release ?]

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
Hi list,

[I'm answering to myself in order to revive the thread.]

The aim of Summer of Code projects is that the work done by the
student is then integrated and used. That's why I call for a vote for
merging changes made to mod_mbox in the httpd-mbox-if into trunk, with
the underlying goal of switching mail-archives.apache.org to the new
trunk.

You can find a complete patch of the changes at
http://blog.bulix.org/pub/mod_mbox-end-of-soc.patch or by executing
the following command :

svn diff http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_mbox/trunk \
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_mbox/branches/httpd-mbox-if

Thank you,
- Sam

Re: A mod_mbox release ?

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
Hi,

> >As most of you probably already know, we hit the Summer of Code
> >deadline. I've been committing a lot of mod_mbox stuff recently in
> >order to get the work done for today, and I'm pleased to say that
> >mod_mbox is now operational.
>
> Well, it was operational before.  ;-)

Sorry, I meant to say "the new mod_mbox code is operational".

> I would call for a review of your changes pending a merge into
> trunk.  At that point, I (and others) need to sit down and review
> all of your changes in detail.  I will admit that I haven't been
> able to keep as close an eye on your commits as I would have
> preferred.  (Perhaps others have?)

Yes, I think my code really needs a full review, and I'll be pleased
to have as many comments as possible in order to improve my work.

> Agreed.  The goal will be to place it in production; however, at the
> least, we need to block (or warn) known-buggy browsers from
> accessing the AJAX interface.

This is already done (see r264664).

> Per our policies, any release requires 3 +1s before going public -
> so you need to get three folks to sign off on it first.
>
> As I'm sure OtherBill will rush to point out, you aren't technically
> on the PMC yet, so you need to find three folks who are on the PMC
> to cast their vote for release.  Once you get on the PMC, you can
> then vote for a release.  When Roy returns from vacation, he's
> promised to clean up our committer and PMC membership rosters...

Ok, I'll call for a vote when the code has been reviewed, fixed, etc.

Thanks,
- Sam

Re: A mod_mbox release ?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On August 31, 2005 7:08:24 PM +0200 Maxime Petazzoni
<ma...@bulix.org> wrote:

> As most of you probably already know, we hit the Summer of Code
> deadline. I've been committing a lot of mod_mbox stuff recently in
> order to get the work done for today, and I'm pleased to say that
> mod_mbox is now operational.

Well, it was operational before.  ;-)

> My development branch (httpd-mbox-if) has been heavily tested since I
> started working on the project, thus allowing several bugs to be
> located and fixed.

I'll comment that there's a difference between test on your setup and
thrown up on mail-archives.apache.org.  =)

> I'm now wondering about the near future of my branch, and what we
> should do about it. I'd like to drop a milestone. How do we usually
> proceed :
>
>  - just tag my branch as tags/soc/ ?
>  - merge the changes into trunk/ ?
>  - release mod_mbox 0.2 ?
>
> I have no idea, and the new committers guide does not say much about
> it.

I would call for a review of your changes pending a merge into trunk.  At
that point, I (and others) need to sit down and review all of your changes
in detail.  I will admit that I haven't been able to keep as close an eye
on your commits as I would have preferred.  (Perhaps others have?)

> What about mail-archives.apache.org ? I think my work needs some kind
> of profound review (segfaults ? security holes ?) before being using in
> production. However, I'll be very proud to see m-a.a.org switching to
> the new code.

Agreed.  The goal will be to place it in production; however, at the least,
we need to block (or warn) known-buggy browsers from accessing the AJAX
interface.

> Please note that a source tarball and a working binary debian package
> are already built, but I guess there must be some kind of review for
> these things, too.

Per our policies, any release requires 3 +1s before going public - so you
need to get three folks to sign off on it first.

As I'm sure OtherBill will rush to point out, you aren't technically on the
PMC yet, so you need to find three folks who are on the PMC to cast their
vote for release.  Once you get on the PMC, you can then vote for a
release.  When Roy returns from vacation, he's promised to clean up our
committer and PMC membership rosters...  -- justin