Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/01 00:10:22 UTC

Re: Method level response time

On 30/11/06, rbaisak <rb...@nyc.yamaha.com> wrote:
> I am using JMeter to test an web application application. Is it possible
> to get any report/graph/statistics that can show time consumed by each
> method for execution. I need to analyze very low level details.
> Something like time consumed by each method.

No.

RE: Method level response time

Posted by "Christensen, Alan" <al...@hp.com>.
There are products that allow one to capture the web server and
application server components associated with URL transactions.  HP's
OpenView Transaction Analyzer is one example.  This product gives one
the ability to see the time spent in Apache, the times spent on each EJB
in the application server, and times associated with any standard jdbc
database accesses from the app server.  These are all correlated to the
original URL.  The overhead is typically less than 5% for collecting
this information, which allows the product to run full time in
production.  With the latest version of OVTA, individual methods within
EJB's can also be broken out.

The tool is transparent to the application.  All of the base data can be
collected without any changes to the application.  If you want to drill
down to the method level, then you need to identify to OVTA which
methods you are interested in and where they are located.

Although this tool was originally developed to help manage production,
it is extremely useful for diagnosing where the time is being spent.
Many problems that would require multiple days or weeks of digging
through log files can be identified in less than 10 minutes.

Unfortunately it is not a free tool, so may be out of bounds for your
situation.