Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/17 22:26:56 UTC

[Exception Message Spelling] Syntaxically

Hey Guys,

Just got this exception:

org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapInvalidAttributeValueException: Attribute value 'http://example.com/users/accounts/L0' for attribute 'm-supObjectClass' is syntaxically incorrect
	at org.apache.directory.server.core.schema.SchemaService.assertSyntaxes(SchemaService.java:1898)

Should it be "Syntactically"?

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: [Exception Message Spelling] Syntaxically

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Syntaxically seems to be lexically incorrect... And sounds like
typical french -> english translation (we say 'syntaxicallement' in
french), where 'ct' have been replaced by 'x'.

When I look at the code, I can say that the odds that I introduced the
bad syntact are high...

It has been ficted. Many ectcuses !

Emmanuel
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Exception Message Spelling] Syntaxically

Posted by Quanah Gibson-Mount <qu...@zimbra.com>.
--On Sunday, June 17, 2007 5:10 PM -0600 Chris Custine
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am pretty sure that syntaxically is not a real word and is probably a
> misspelled form of "synactically".  However, for what its worth, you guys
> do a better job with English than many people I know here in the US.  :-)

<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=syntactically>

is the correct spelling.  Syntaxically is not a word in the English
language, although plenty of people seem to use it incorrectly. ;)

I find it highly amusing that a patent about teaching Enlish as a foreign
language had that misspelling in it. ;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer

Re: [Exception Message Spelling] Syntaxically

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
I am pretty sure that syntaxically is not a real word and is probably a
misspelled form of "synactically".  However, for what its worth, you guys do
a better job with English than many people I know here in the US.  :-)

Chris

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.