Posted to user@spark.apache.org by radoburansky <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/18 21:13:06 UTC

Number of CPU cores for a Spark Streaming app in Standalone mode

I somehow don't want to believe this waste of resources. Is it really true
that if I have 20 input streams I must have at least 21 CPU cores? Even if I
read only once per minute and only a few messages? I still hope that I miss
an important information. Thanks a lot

Re: Number of CPU cores for a Spark Streaming app in Standalone mode

Posted by radoburansky <ra...@gmail.com>.
I am adding an answer from SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34861947/read-more-kafka-topics-than-number-of-cpu-cores

Posted by Tathagata Das <td...@databricks.com>.
If you are using receiver-based input streams, then you have to dedicate 1
core to each receiver. If you read only once per minute on each receiver,
than consider consolidating the data reading pipeline such that you can use
fewer receivers.