Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Pardoe, Julian" <ju...@csfb.com> on 2000/07/12 11:18:44 UTC

Validation Schemes

Could someone please tell me what the semantics of the various "validation
schemes" are?  The documentation at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/apiDocs/class_DOMParser.html#s3 is a little
uninformative.  I'm hoping that Val_Auto will solve a problem I'm having: I
want to validate but not all my data contains DOCTYPEs and if they don't
they won't validate[*].

-- jP --

[*] That seems to be what the standard mandates.  Seems odd to me: no
DOCTYPE means no rules to conform to and validating against an empty set of
rules should return "true".

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.

Re: Validation Schemes

Posted by Joe Polastre <jp...@apache.org>.
Your assumption is correct, this is exactly what this flag will do:

Val_Always  will always validate regardless of what the document says
Val_Auto will validate if there is a DOCTYPE declaration, otherwise it
won't.
Val_Never will never validate.

-Joe Polastre  (jpolast@apache.org)
IBM Cupertino, XML Technology Group

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
That is what Auto does. But that is not required by the spec. The spec just
says you can have a DTD or not, and you can validate or not. It doesn't get
into the real world ways of dealing with these things. But, as a practical
matter, we added the 'auto' mode which says validate if there is a DTD, else
don't.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"You young, and you gotcha health. Whatchoo wanna job fer?"