Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Tedesco <mt...@stylesight.com> on 2008/10/01 18:58:55 UTC

Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Hey,

I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running
1.2 to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't
just stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long
I will need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index
directory using hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best
way?  I have been using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to
do this.

Mike Tedesco

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Posted by Jason Rennie <jr...@gmail.com>.
We just went through this process.  We simply copied the 1.2 index to the
new server (while the 1.2 server was live---responding to requests and
handling updates) and started it up with 1.3.  It worked.  I can't promise
that you'll have the same experience, but it's worth a try.  Also, if I were
you, I'd assume that some of the documents will be lost, so I'd reindex any
recently added documents.

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
Backup or snapshot taken by hard links are save to copy since once Lucene
creates an index file, it will not be modified.

>From the 1.3.0 release notes:

The Porter snowball based stemmers in Lucene were updated (LUCENE-1142),
and are not guaranteed to be backward compatible at the index level
(the stem of certain words may have changed).  Re-indexing is recommended.

Bill

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I think I jumped the gun here. I'm not sure on this so I'll let someone
who knows more comment on this.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Tedesco <mt...@stylesight.com>wrote:
>

>> I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running 1.2
>> to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't just
>> stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long I will
>> need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index directory using
>> hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best way?  I have been
>> using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to do this.
>>

> Copying the index may not work because the index format has changed (due to
> upgrade in lucene in 1.3). Re-indexing is the only option.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.