Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Philip May <en...@googlemail.com> on 2007/09/04 17:04:13 UTC

CXF with Java 1.4

Is it possible to use CXF with Java 1.4?
If it's not possible do I have to use XFire?

Thanks,
Philip

--
Philip May
http://eniak.info/

Re: CXF with Java 1.4

Posted by Conrad O'Dea <co...@iona.com>.
Hi Philip,

On 4 Sep 2007, at 18:40, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Philip May wrote:
>> Is it possible to use CXF with Java 1.4?
>
> No.  Many of the technologies the CXF is based on require 1.5.
> JAX-WS,
> JAXB, etc... all require features of 1.5 such as the generics and
> annotations.
>

>> If it's not possible do I have to use XFire?
>
> Yep.

Another alternative would be to use Retrotranslator [1] to morph your
application's byte code so that it can run on a 1.4 VM.  I've heard
tell of someone running CXF in this way but not in a production
environment.  Not everybody's cup of tea but an option nonetheless.

Conrad

[1] http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: CXF with Java 1.4

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Philip May wrote:
> Is it possible to use CXF with Java 1.4?

No.  Many of the technologies the CXF is based on require 1.5.   JAX-WS,
JAXB, etc... all require features of 1.5 such as the generics and
annotations.

> If it's not possible do I have to use XFire?

Yep.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer