Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com> on 2004/08/16 07:19:29 UTC

Switched distro quest

I had SA working sweetly on Debian unstable.  Today I have been trying to
get things going on a new install of Debian testing on the same machine.

I'm using the same SA version (2.63) as before.  I used apt-get for the SA
install.

If I feed the mail to "spamassassin" via procmail, it works.  However, I
can't seem to use spamc/spamd.

I seem to remember that in Debian unstable, I had a little conf file in
/etc/spamassassin - something like spamassassin.conf (??).  It seems like
there was a place in there to tell it a couple of important things, but I
can't remember the details!

ARRRGH, I hate switching releases/distros!  Anyone have any ideas why my
spamc/spamd might not be working?  I also used to be able to say
/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart - and I would get a message something like
spamassassin daemon spamd restarting.  However, now that command only
returns me to the prompt!  Thus spamc doesn't appear to work because spamd
is not running.  Why?  How to get it to run??  Thanks!  - John

Re: Switched distro quest

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
Mike Burger wrote:
> I thought that the "default" location was actually /etc/mail/spamassassin.

That is the default location for system local SA configuration files,
however that doesn't fit with Debian's file system standards.  Thus,
that location in Debian is actually /etc/spamassassin.

The file /etc/default/spamassassin (not a directory) is a Debian
specific file that controls the SA init script.

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net

Re: Switched distro quest

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
> I thought that the "default" location was actually /etc/mail/spamassassin.
> --
> Mike Burger

It depends on your definition of "default".  ;-)

The "main default" stuff is in /etc/mail/spamassassin.  However, on Debian
systems, there is a little file in /etc/default (/etc/default/spamassassin)
that has a place to set to use spamd on or off (0 or 1).

- John

Re: Switched distro quest

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, John Fleming wrote:

> > John Fleming wrote:
> > > I seem to remember that in Debian unstable, I had a little conf file in
> > > /etc/spamassassin - something like spamassassin.conf (??).  It seems
> like
> > > there was a place in there to tell it a couple of important things, but
> > > can't remember the details!
> >
> > Check /etc/default/spamassassin
> >
> > Steven
>
> THANK YOU Steven and Matt!  As a relative newbie to Linux, the changing file
> locations and config differences between the different distros has been one
> of the most challenging things for me.  I'm restoring a server from
> scratch - Fortunately I had backups of most things, but I couldn't remember
> where that file was!

I thought that the "default" location was actually /etc/mail/spamassassin.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe