Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/13 01:51:17 UTC

Re: svn commit: r584279 - in /maven/archiva/trunk/archiva-web: archiva-security/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiva/security/ archiva-webapp/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiva/web/action/admin/repositories/ archiva-webapp/src/main/java/org/apa

On 10/12/07, joakime@apache.org <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: joakime
> Date: Fri Oct 12 14:35:41 2007
> New Revision: 584279

> Log:
> [MRM-398] configure guest access by default for pre-configured repositories
> Newly added repositories are assigned to the guest user in read-only mode.

As mentioned on the issue comments, this isn't what was requested.
Brett and I both want a way to pre-configure guest access "out of the
box" for pre-configured repositories.

I don't think it's a good idea to make newly added repositories
visible by default.

--
Wendy

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
What Wendy said :)

- we should roll back the commit, I don't think it's a good idea in
general (and IIUC, it doesn't apply the changes for the pre-
configured repos at all)
- if we agree to pre-configure the repos, we need to seek a simpler
solution.

Joakim - I'm a little confused about the purpose of your mail -
everything screamed that you thought the solution was a bad idea and
then you suggested you might go ahead with it :) Just saying, it was
a bit hard to grok what exactly you were getting at doing. (There are
also reasons the math about how many components.xml would be touched
and what might get dragged in to test it that weren't quite right,
but it's a non-issue if the solution is different - it was more
related to the fact that dragging all that stuff into configuration
was clearly a bad idea).

Off the top of my head, I would think we should assign the
permissions in the current code that checks for existence of roles on
startup, and only when the roles did not previously exist. This will
only get hit for the pre-configured repos - those added later will
create the roles themselves and not configure any permissions. It
should check the ID name against the default ones so it doesn't
automatically assign to all those pre-configured by hand. If you are
not content that is robust enough, I'd be happy with a flag
<preconfigureGuestAccess>true|false</preconfigureGuestAccess> in the
repository configuration that can be added to default-archiva.xml but
is false by default.

Is that a better way to go?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
I can only think of 1 place for this.
When DefaultArchivaConfiguration loads the default-archiva.xml from its
resources location and puts it into place.

Catch is, it will require pulling in redback-rbac all the way down to
archiva-configuration.
Which means archiva-security will likely go away (merged with
archiva-configuration), with the RoleManager work that Jesse did, it was
inevitable for the archiva-security to go away.
But wait! there's more! Because of our use of a role with a resource,
that means we have to pull in RbacManager too. (because RoleManager
doesn't support that kind of assignment yet, see Jesse & Redback
1.0-alpha-4 work)
Also, it means that every unit test that uses the
DefaultArchivaConfiguration object will have to pull in the RoleManager,
and RBACManager too.
And while we are loading those, we'll either need to configure a
database everywhere, or use the "memory" role manager to avoid using the
database.
Which in turn means that all of those component xmls everywhere will
need to be touched, which at last count,

Big commit coming?
(back of the envelope math)
$ find . -name "*.xml" -exec grep -l DefaultArchivaConfiguration {} \; |
wc -l
27
$ find . -name "*.xml" -exec grep -n DefaultArchivaConfiguration {} \; |
wc -l
63

27 files, 63 usages of DefaultArchivaConfiguration.
Average of about 65 new lines needed per DefaultArchivaConfiguration
definition.
65 * 63 = 4095 lines.
+ 27% diff overhead = 5200 lines

That should be a 4 part commit (once split by apache's commit message
email split routines)
And that's the bare minimum work.
It's likely that archiva-security goes away, and archiva-configuration
gains a bunch of security.

Ready for it?

- Joakim

--