Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2012/11/13 22:48:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > *DRAFT* Distribution FAQ

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: *DRAFT* Distribution FAQ (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/*DRAFT*+Distribution+FAQ)

Edited by Don Harbison:
h1. Apache OpenOffice Distribution FAQ

h2. Where is the old distribution list/information?

The Apache OpenOffice project distributes OpenOffice online, as a free download from our website. Although this is sufficient for most users, we also know that for others users, a copy of OpenOffice on CD-ROM or other media is preferred.

The legacy OpenOffice.org project had a "Distribution Project" that listed the contact information for 3rd parties who would provide, at a charge, a CD-ROM containing OpenOffice. We've suspended this program. -until the Apache OpenOffice project determines how a similar service might be enabled in the future, one that will give users greater assurance that they are receiving the latest version of OpenOffice.- If you want to voice your opinion on the distribution project, or offer any opinions, please send them to our public mailing list, at ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org.

 h2. What do I need to know about the OpenOffice License?

Version 3.4, named Apache OpenOffice 3.4 and distributed by the Apache Software Foundation, uses  Apache license, [Apache License v2|http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt]. More about this license and how this license applies to various scenarios can be found on the [Apache License and Distribution FAQ|http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html] page.

Versions 3.0, beta to 3.3, named OpenOffice.org 3.3, etc., used the [GNU Lesser General Public License v3|http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html], LGPL.

You should comply with the terms of these licenses for any distribution you undertake.

 h2. Can I let my clients download your software and use your logo on my website or other distribution media?

Please see the [Apache OpenOffice Trademarks|http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html] page for more information on about the "Apache OpenOffice" and "OpenOffice.org" trademarks and what you need to do to use them. Also, please review information which applies to [older OpenOffice.org logos and icons|http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/index.html] on [the OpenOffice wiki|http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Logo/License].

 h2. Can I Produce a CD/DVD of your software and distribute it.

Yes, this is covered under Apache License 2 for Apache OpenOffice 3.4, and covered under the LGPL for older versions. Please see  *I'm not a lawyer. What does it all MEAN?* section of the [Apache License FAQ page|http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html]. This means you can distribute unmodified versions of Apache OpenOffice as Apache OpenOffice, or older versions of OpenOffice.org as OpenOffice.org.

 h2. I want to link to your product/page. Will you partner with me and link to mine?

Due to the number of potential distributors of Apache OpenOffice, this is not feasible. We are hopeful that well-known search engines will be able to find your "packaging" or "distribution" with minimal effort.

 h2. Can I distribute OpenOffice on a CD or my website and call it something else?

Generally, no. If such a need arises for whatever reason, please contact the [Apache OpenOffice PMC|mailto: private@openoffice.apache.org].

h2. Can I distribute OpenOffice as use my company's name with it?

If you as company, ABC, wish to distribute OpenOffice on a CD with a label "ABC OpenOffice", the answer is "no". This would be a trademark use violation. This is covered in the Apache License version 2 document under section [6. Trademarks|http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0] .

You could use wording such as "ABC's Office Suite Powered by Apache OpenOffice" as alternative. Please contact the [Apache OpenOffice development list|mailto:dev@openoffice.apache.org] with additional questions about this type of use.

Change your notification preferences: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action