Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Frank Cohen <fc...@pushtotest.com> on 2002/08/29 19:58:22 UTC

TestMaker as subproject

Who should I contact to submit the TestMaker (formerly Load) project for
consideration as a Jakarta subproject?

I've been maintaining the TestMaker (formerly Load) framework for the past 5
years. TestMaker is a framework for building intelligent test agents that
check Web systems based on HTTP, HTTPS, SOAP, and XML-RPC for scalability,
performance and functionality. TestMaker lives on the
http://www.PushToTest.com/ptt site and has an modest community of users.

TestMaker would make a nice addition to the JUnit and JMeter subprojects.
JUnit and JMeter focus on providing Java developers with frameworks for unit
and system tests. TestMaker focuses on QA engineers and IT managers that may
know how to code Java objects but are more comfortable in a GUI environment
with a script language.

TestMaker is distributed under an Apache-style license. The PushToTest site
normally gets 60-100 people a day visiting, with about half downloading
TestMaker. 6500 people have downloaded the software. 1840 are on the mailing
list to receive announcements. 20 people are on the developer email list,
with myself and 2 others applying patches and new features on a monthly
basis. The traffic is mostly from Google searches for "free test automation
software", the articles I have written for IBM developerWorks, and the
Testing Web Services book I am writing
(http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt/thebook.html.)

My sense of the oncoming .NET vs J2EE fight motivates me to seek Apache's
adoption of TestMaker. .NET is fabulous for developers because it is
complete. The completeness of .NET is an advantage over the disparity and
disjointed set of tools in the J2EE camp. In my mind, Apache is best
positioned to offer a competing platform of tools and server software to
developers. Having TestMaker in Jakarta would be the equivalent of adding
Microsoft ACT or Mercury Interactive Loadrunner to the Apache platform.

Please let me know your thoughts on this proposal. Thank you, in advance.

-Frank Cohen
http://www.PushToTest.com

--
Frank Cohen, CEO, PushToTest, www.pushtotest.com, phone: 408 374 7426
Come to PushToTest for free open-source Active Security solutions that test,

Re: TestMaker as subproject

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 13:58, Frank Cohen wrote:
> Who should I contact to submit the TestMaker (formerly Load) project for
> consideration as a Jakarta subproject?

I would suggest contacting JUnit if you're looking to combine efforts
with them (which is not BTW an apache project).

However this looks similar to Cactus and JMeter (this may show my
ignorance of both projects).  I'd suggest instead looking to combine
efforts with either or both.

Take a look at the mailing lists and contact that group directly rather
than general.

It seems to me that if your itch is to produce less numbers of APIS with
greater robustness combining efforts with one or both of these projects
is a better idea than would be say adding another subproject.

But thats just my opinion.

-Andy

> I've been maintaining the TestMaker (formerly Load) framework for the past 5
> years. TestMaker is a framework for building intelligent test agents that
> check Web systems based on HTTP, HTTPS, SOAP, and XML-RPC for scalability,
> performance and functionality. TestMaker lives on the
> http://www.PushToTest.com/ptt site and has an modest community of users.
>
> TestMaker would make a nice addition to the JUnit and JMeter subprojects.
> JUnit and JMeter focus on providing Java developers with frameworks for unit
> and system tests. TestMaker focuses on QA engineers and IT managers that may
> know how to code Java objects but are more comfortable in a GUI environment
> with a script language.
>
> TestMaker is distributed under an Apache-style license. The PushToTest site
> normally gets 60-100 people a day visiting, with about half downloading
> TestMaker. 6500 people have downloaded the software. 1840 are on the mailing
> list to receive announcements. 20 people are on the developer email list,
> with myself and 2 others applying patches and new features on a monthly
> basis. The traffic is mostly from Google searches for "free test automation
> software", the articles I have written for IBM developerWorks, and the
> Testing Web Services book I am writing
> (http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt/thebook.html.)
>
> My sense of the oncoming .NET vs J2EE fight motivates me to seek Apache's
> adoption of TestMaker. .NET is fabulous for developers because it is
> complete. The completeness of .NET is an advantage over the disparity and
> disjointed set of tools in the J2EE camp. In my mind, Apache is best
> positioned to offer a competing platform of tools and server software to
> developers. Having TestMaker in Jakarta would be the equivalent of adding
> Microsoft ACT or Mercury Interactive Loadrunner to the Apache platform.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on this proposal. Thank you, in advance.
>
> -Frank Cohen
> http://www.PushToTest.com
>

> --
> Frank Cohen, CEO, PushToTest, www.pushtotest.com, phone: 408 374 7426
> Come to PushToTest for free open-source Active Security solutions that test,
> monitor and automate Web Service systems for functionality, scalability and
> performance.

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh