Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Hoepfner-Homme <pa...@oven.com> on 2000/10/06 16:18:28 UTC

How to automatically start Tomcat on boot

Thanks for showing me how to get mod_jk.  I compiled it and have
installed it.  Now I just have a simple question:  how do I get Tomcat
to automatically start when the system boots up?  Apache is already set
up right, but I need Tomcat to start _before_ Apache, since it
automatically generates the config file which Apache needs.

I put a symbolic link in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to the script
/usr/local/tomcat/bin/tomcat.sh, and called the symlink 'S98tomcat',
just sort of following the naming scheme they use to start Apache (which
is S98httpd).  Does anyone know how to guarantee that Tomcat will start
before Apache on boot?

Thanks for your help.

--
Paul Hoepfner-Homme
paulh@oven.com

OVEN Digital | http://www.oven.com/

RE: How to automatically start Tomcat on boot

Posted by Greg Thompson <gt...@insurity.com>.
link it to S97tomcat.

You don't have to use the auto generated config every time, copy the auto
config to another file, and include that one.  When you change your tomcat,
re copy the auto config.  Then it doesn't matter that tomcat is up first.

Can you run tomcat in process using mod jk?  Then you wouldn't have to worry
with starting tomcat, apache would do that for you.

Greg

Posted by Mike Bremford <mi...@paperx.com>.
The 'S' files in /etc/init.d/rcx.d are executed in alphabetical order. So to
start Tomcat first, make Tomcat "S97tomcat" and Apache "S98httpd".

Cheers... Mike