Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2003/05/14 08:17:17 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

--On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 5:17 AM +0000 aaron@apache.org wrote:

> aaron       2003/05/13 22:17:29
>
>   Modified:    .        Tag: APACHE_2_0_BRANCH STATUS
>   Log:
>   Add a vote to commit the same patch I just committed to HEAD, so that
>   --enable-mods-shared=most/all will start working again.

I think you committed to the branch not HEAD.  =)

Though the patch looks right at first glance.  Thought we had fixed this
problem a while back - I wonder what happened to regress.  -- justin

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 07:47  AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>>> So what I need to do now is test a change to configure.in to pick up
>>> the right AIX and BeOS with various configure invocations, commit to
>>> 2.1-dev, and submit again for merging into 2.0.46-dev.
>>

>> Actually, all is well now, since when "static" is passed in enable_so
>> to APACHE_MODULE(), it gets reset to "yes" so that the configure.in
>> check will work.
>

> So everything is correct now and my changes didn't break AIX?

yes!

so yank the entry from STATUS and put the change in 2.1-dev

> At one point, "yes" started to mean "enable this module, and use the
> default {static or shared}".
> So --enable-foo would set mod_foo to "yes", and --eanble-foo=shared
> would set mod_foo to "shared",
> and so on. Does this jive with your understanding of the meaning?

basically...

--enable-foo sets the variable enable_foo=yes
--enable-foo=shared sets the variable enable_foo=shared
--disable-foo sets the variable enable_foo=no

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 07:47  AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> So what I need to do now is test a change to configure.in to pick up
>> the right AIX and BeOS with various configure invocations, commit to
>> 2.1-dev, and submit again for merging into 2.0.46-dev.
>
> Actually, all is well now, since when "static" is passed in enable_so
> to APACHE_MODULE(), it gets reset to "yes" so that the configure.in
> check will work.

So everything is correct now and my changes didn't break AIX?

At one point, "yes" started to mean "enable this module, and use the
default {static or shared}".
So --enable-foo would set mod_foo to "yes", and --eanble-foo=shared
would set mod_foo to "shared",
and so on. Does this jive with your understanding of the meaning?

-aaron

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> So what I need to do now is test a change to configure.in to pick up the
> right AIX and BeOS with various configure invocations, commit to
> 2.1-dev, and submit again for merging into 2.0.46-dev.

Actually, all is well now, since when "static" is passed in enable_so to
APACHE_MODULE(), it gets reset to "yes" so that the configure.in check
will work.

groan

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Ah, Jeff's patch removed that specific check in r1.16, which he just
> backported this morning to 2.0.  I'm not entirely clear what his patch
> was doing now that I look at it.  I'm wondering if AIX needs mod_so as a
> shared object.  How exactly does that work?  So, I think we've got
> conflicting patches now.
>
> I think we need a closer look/explanation at Jeff's patch...  -- justin

The main purpose of the patch was so that this ancient logic in
configure.in would be triggered:

if test "$enable_so" = "yes"; then
   case $host in
     *-ibm-aix*)
        stuff
     *beos)
        stuff
     *os390)
        stuff
   esac
fi

When mod_so defaulted to enabled, the enable_so variable was not set so
the test always failed.  This somehow broke between 2.0.44 and 2.0.45.

Secondary reasons were

1) to have configure actually emit a message (e.g., "yes") after it
prints "checking whether to enable mod_so..."

2) to add another sanity check for configurations that didn't make sense

3) to use the APR macro for checking the APR_HAS_DSO feature instead of
doing an explicit compile (some cases in Apache where we did an explicit
compile didn't work with an out-of-tree APR build, though I don't think
this was one of those cases)

Alas, while I tried a number of testcases prior to committing to
2.1-dev, I did not try --enable-mods-shared=most :)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 11:55  PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:45 PM -0700 Aaron Bannert
> <aa...@clove.org> wrote:
>
>> I comitted the vote to the 2.0 branch, but the fix to HEAD. Was
>> that incorrect?
>
> I'm only seeing the commit to modules/mappers/config9.m4 in 2.0 - not
> in HEAD. Wonder what happened.

Ah you're right, I must have checked out the repository incorrectly...

Hmm...vote to forward patch then? :)

>> (I thought I fixed it too, at least I remember fixing some part
>> of the --enable-mods-shared code awhile ago.)
>
> Ah, Jeff's patch removed that specific check in r1.16, which he just
> backported this morning to 2.0.  I'm not entirely clear what his patch
> was doing now that I look at it.  I'm wondering if AIX needs mod_so as
> a shared object.  How exactly does that work?  So, I think we've got
> conflicting patches now.
>
> I think we need a closer look/explanation at Jeff's patch...  -- justin

Yeah, it wasn't clear to me what his patch did either. Though, I thought
AIX couldn't deal with DSOs that depended on other DSOs.

-aaron

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.