Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> on 2011/01/31 22:08:45 UTC

Error building simple web project

   I'm writing a web app with Maven and learning as I go.  The
<packaging> is war. I have a directory within my project that has the
web pieces:
web
   src
      main
         webapp
             WEB-INF
                 Web.xml

When I run mvn clean package, I get this error:
[Info] Error assembling WAR:  webxml element is required (or
pre-exisitng WEB-INF/web.xml if executing in update mode)

I assume there's something simple I haven't seen in the doc yet, but I'm
reading through the POM reference and haven't seen it yet. What might be
wrong?  Thanks.

Ken

RE: Error building simple web project

Posted by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu>.
I resolved this error. I didn't realize how complex the structure of a
web app was in Maven. Now that I added that complexity and have POMs all
over the place, the project builds.  Thanks.

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
n Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> wrote:

> Sorry, just a copy-and-paste error.  I know the real thing has to have all
> lower-case.
> WEB-INF/web.xml
> --

I haven't seen that error before.  Maybe the web.xml isn't correctly formed?

Greg Akins
http://twitter.com/akinsgre

RE: Error building simple web project

>   I'm writing a web app with Maven and learning as I go.  The
> <packaging> is war. I have a directory within my project that has the
> web pieces:
> web
>   src
>      main
>         webapp
>             WEB-INF
>                 Web.xml

Is this just a copy-and-paste thing or did you really name it
"Web.xml"? It should be "web.xml" (all lowercase).

Re: Error building simple web project

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.