Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de> on 2012/08/10 09:35:28 UTC

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, August 10 at 9 am Pacific Time
to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB communities):
see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012
2. Convert spec to OpenOffice https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-716
3. News on "Automate OSGi bundling in JDO 3.1+ build"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-694?
4. News on patch JDO-707 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-707?
Check for best practice.
5. Autocommit or nontransactional actions:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-589
6. Reorganize sources to conform with maven conventions
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-711
7. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[Aug 03 2012] AI Craig review changes in JIRAs and list changes by chapter.
[Jul 27 2012] AI Michael: look into 3.1 JDOQL JIRAs and update the spec
[Jul 20 2012] AI Michelle: take a look into adding JDO social links to
db.apache.org/jdo.
[Jul 20 2012] AI Michelle: Look into formatting the assertions differently.
[Jul 13 2012] AI Michelle: take a look at manually recreating index
entries in the spec.
[Jul 13 2012] AI Michelle see about changing the style in the spec.
[Jul 13 2012] AI Craig, Michelle update the spec.
[Jul 13 2012] AI Craig review again how to release the 3.1 through JCP
channels
[Jun 01 2012] AI Matthew ask on maven user list about best practice of
parent & child poms in a multi-module maven project.
[Sep 23 2011] AI Michael document when changing dependencies (to
DataNucleus) it's necessary to rebuild the exectck project before
running tck.

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de
Web: www.akquinet.de <http://www.akquinet.de>

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> 1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB
> communities): see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012
>
> Matthew thinks JDO marketing could use some help, especially around
> noSQL. The wider community still thinks that JDO was deprecated (years
> back) in favor of JPA and Hibernate, and this colors the perception of
> the project.
>
> Also need tooling for IDE's in particular. SpringData JDO is a
> project that could attract new users/developers. Eclipse plugin for
> creating entities, enhancement.

Random thoughts, and this is intended as constructive, not as real criticism
;-)

What becomes "top level" and "lower level" in Apache has always seemed totally
arbitrary, and it's easier to find top level projects.

Do Apache projects really have such a good record of attracting new committers
after the first year? My view from outside is that they don't and they often
have a list of inactive people listed that wanted to be added at startup (who
knows why), that never do (or ever did) anything.

Release frequency of one release every few years likely doesn't inspire people
to contribute. Talk after 3.0 (July 2010) was for a faster release cycle. Yes
I know people are busy and resource is scarce, but surely better can be
achieved. Hopefully once the spec is in ODF this can improve. Plenty of people
want (and are using as a vendor extension) this typesafe query API, and it
just sitting in JIRA won't satisfy that need

Apache JDO is not your normal type of project (delivering software for a
particular problem). It defines a spec, API and series of tests. This isn't the
sort of thing that is going to attract many new people since they're more
interested in the end result of something that fulfils that spec.

Lack of publicity of releases doesn't attract attention; there was no official
communication of JDO 3.0 on external sites other than something I did myself
due to the absence of anything from the project. Why doesn't the project do
this? Let's not be afraid of upsetting Oracle management and advertising JDO
;-) We know they don't like it, like I'm bothered :-)

Yes some people say JDO is dead, but then plenty of people are using it
(including many newbies). GAE JDO plugin v2.x fixes many of the problems they
encountered with v1.

Regards
--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Matthew Adams, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB
communities): see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012

Matthew thinks JDO marketing could use some help, especially around
noSQL. The wider community still thinks that JDO was deprecated (years
back) in favor of JPA and Hibernate, and this colors the perception of
the project.

DAlso need tooling for IDE's in particular. SpringData JDO is a
project that could attract new users/developers. Eclipse plugin for
creating entities, enhancement.

2. Convert spec to OpenOffice https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-716

Michelle will soon be done with broken cross references and assertion
text. Next up: indexes.

3. News on "Automate OSGi bundling in JDO 3.1+ build" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-694?

no change.

4. News on patch JDO-707 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
JDO-707? Check for best practice.

Best practice is to put parent pom in its own sub-directory. Just need
a day to implement this change.

If you have a parent pom in a directory above other modules, it's
difficult to build just a part of the project because of the layout.

5. Autocommit or nontransactional actions: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-589

6. Reorganize sources to conform with maven conventions https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-711

AI Matthew (within the next month hopefully).

[...]

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com