Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Steve Jin <st...@doublecloud.org> on 2015/04/03 20:20:03 UTC

Help on creating a new provider

Hi jCloud team,

Thanks for creating the API framework. I am trying to create a provider for
a service that exposes REST APIs.

After lots of searches and reading/debugging some providers, I finally got
the skeleton project, which is super helpful. I can now get the provider
loaded and use faked data.

The challenge is how to hook up my ComputeServiceAdapter to my REST APIs. I
tried to put in something in the listNodes() method there with a faked data
but it does not work. It seems to me the jClouds use Google caching API
which then triggers REST API calls that is annotated. But I have no clue
what's needed from provider developer. If there is a skeleton code that
shows one REST API call, it would super helpful.

Alternatively, I can simply use the ComputeService interface and implement
my own class. In that case, is it possible to point jClouds to use it? Say
my implementation class is MyComputeService that exends BaseComputeService
or implements ComputerService directly. What does it take for the
ComputeServiceContext to return me MyComputerService instead of the
BaseComputeService as default?

Any information/doc/advice are really appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve