Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by mh983 <mh...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/15 09:01:55 UTC

svn and build question

I have a patch I'd like to submit, but I'm having a
tough time with subversion.  Not too long ago, when it
was CVS, I managed to get all of the source brought
down and get the build.properties and
common.properties and such just right to make it
compile.

Now I'm trying to grab the latest copy of the code
from svn.  I'm not even sure of the url.  I at first
did:

svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/taglibs/proper

but this started downloading all versions.

In particular, I want input.  So I tried
<...snip...>taglibs/proper/input/trunk

That worked nicely to get me the 'input' files.  But
then I'm missing common.xml and common.properties and
"ant dist" got me nowhere.  Then I tried
taglibs/trunks-proper to get the common files, but the
directory structure then wasn't right.

needless to say, I'm very confused right now about
what exactly to checkout and how the directory
structure should be.

thanks for any suggestions you may have.

By the way, my patch adds support for nested
properties   on the input tags such as <input:text
name="person.address.zip"...> which would resolve to
bean.getPerson().getAddress().getZip().

It also adds support for boolean bean properties whose
getters are named with "is" instead of "get".

Lastly, I added support for using a Map from the
request in the options, optionLabels and optionValues
attributes of <input:select>, so instead of
<input:select options="<% new java.util.HashMap();
...%>" your controller can put a map in the request
with a name such as "myoptions" and the jsp page
simply has <input:select options="myoptions"/>

Anyway, I've gone on too long.  Hopefully someone can
help me get this checked out with svn so I can build
again.  The taglibs have been great to use so far,
Thanks!

mike

Re: svn and build question

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/06, mh983 <mh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.  I played more with it
> today and here is how I got things going, in case it
> will help anyone else (feel free anyone, to correct
> anything dumb I did)  I believe that anywhere you see
> "input" in the steps can be replaced by whatever
> subproject of taglibs you are interested in:

<snip-recipe/>

Sounds fine, not sure about the servlet / jsp jar item, but its
probably a minor point. Thanks for posting the "recipe".

> Next step, learn how to submit my patch.

<snap/>

Couple of pointers:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html#Patches
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html

Attach patches to bugzilla:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

(under Product: "Taglibs", Component: "Input Taglib")

> I did notice that it's been something like 5 years
> since the input taglib was updated and wondered what
> was up.  I'm using it with Spring.  Maybe everyone
> else uses Struts :)

<snip/>

Yup, there is overlap between the input taglib and some of the Struts
tags, for example, some of the "nested" functionality you mention you
have added (or want to add) exists there. You're also right that there
has been no dev activity for the input taglib recently (please be
aware of its somewhat dormant status if you choose to spend time on it
-- it may be a while before your bugzilla tickets get responses, for
example).

-Rahul

> mike

<snap/>

Re: svn and build question

Posted by mh983 <mh...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the quick response.  I played more with it
today and here is how I got things going, in case it
will help anyone else (feel free anyone, to correct
anything dumb I did)  I believe that anywhere you see
"input" in the steps can be replaced by whatever
subproject of taglibs you are interested in:

1. create working directory,
'myprojects/jakarta-taglibs'

2. cd myprojects/jakarta-taglibs

3. svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/taglibs/trunks-proper

4. svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/taglibs/proper/input/trunk
input

5. svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/taglibs/proper/src/trunk
src

6. cp build.properties.sample build.properties

7. for me, servlet and jsp code are in two jars,
servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar. So I modified the
'classpath' variable in common.xml from
"${servlet.jar}" to "{$servlet.jar}:${jsp.jar}"

8. next I edit build.properties and set the
servlet.jar variable to my servlet-api.jar location,
and add a new variable called jsp.jar that points to
jsp-api.jar

9. type "ant input" and everything goes smoothly.

Re: svn and build question

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.