Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@rabellino.it> on 2001/12/03 11:44:25 UTC

Possible legal issue with EnumerationFactory?

Ciao,

while browsing the Cocoon code I came through the
org.apache.cocoon.util.EnumerationFactory class. If you take a look at
it you will notice that there is no mention of ASF copyright: actually
the source, while freely usable, look like copyrighted to an individual
(Christoph Karl Walter Grein) and looks like it has not been donated to
the ASF. Is it legal to package it as a Cocoon class? Should we change
the header to reflect the state in case it has been donated to the ASF?

--
Gianugo (who sometimes reminds to be a lawyer ;))

Re: Possible legal issue with EnumerationFactory?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Am the primary culprit...See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99287731222300&w=2
>
> Stefano,
> What are our options? IANAL.

Well, ask the guy if he wants to donate the source code to us (along
with copyright) or rewrite the thing ourselves.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Possible legal issue with EnumerationFactory?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Am the primary culprit...See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99287731222300&w=2

Stefano,
What are our options? IANAL.

Thanks,
dims

=====

Re: Possible legal issue with EnumerationFactory?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Ciao,
>
> while browsing the Cocoon code I came through the
> org.apache.cocoon.util.EnumerationFactory class. If you take a look at
> it you will notice that there is no mention of ASF copyright: actually
> the source, while freely usable, look like copyrighted to an individual
> (Christoph Karl Walter Grein) and looks like it has not been donated to
> the ASF. Is it legal to package it as a Cocoon class? Should we change
> the header to reflect the state in case it has been donated to the ASF?

Either we have to remove it or change the header.

I'm +1 on changing the header as it seems to be used by the
ValidatorActionResult class (except the original author objects).

Giacomo