Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/08/06 22:45:59 UTC

[VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Hi,

Following the TLP process I think that we are now ready to release
version 4 of the commons-parent project. Apart from the TLP changes, we
have also had some more plugin versions specified. A full diff of the
pom.xml can be found at this address:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=562989&r2=543800&diff_format=h

The site.xml has also had a TLP makeover. Diff is here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/src/site/site.xml?r1=560660&r2=504710&diff_format=h

Yes, the version number in the pom will be updated automatically during
the release process.

[ ] +1
[ ] =0
[ ] -1

Vote is open for 72 hours.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Phil

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

The sooner, the better.

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Ben Speakmon <bs...@apache.org>.
Nice. +1 nonbinding.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/07, Jörg Schaible <Jo...@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:

> What means "flooded" here?

That depends on the project. There are projects, where it makes
several lines, so that's fine for the project. There are other
projects, where the *.txt files are several hundred lines. Which is
most possibly, why it wasn't choosen as the default by the Maven guys
and I agree with that.

Apart from that, I not vetoing, but expressing my opinion. Get a
majority of the list on your side and you're done. No need to argue
with me.

Jochen

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:10 PM:

> On 8/7/07, Jörg Schaible <Jo...@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> One wish: Can we add the following lines to the
> surefire-plugin's section in the pluginManagement:
>>
>> <configuration>
>>         <useFile>false</useFile>
>> </configuration>
>>
>> This will configure the plugin not to write the *.txt files
> into target/surefire-report, but to print them on the
> console. This is a big help for nightly and Gump builds,
> since you can see immediately which test went wrong with what problem.
>
> -1 (to the wish, not to the vote)
>
> The nightly and Gump builds can overwrite the configuration. And the
> majority of developers will surely don't wish to be flooded with such
> messages.

What means "flooded" here? You only get additional console output in case a unit test fails. Have you ever tried this setting before simply vetoing it? I use it on my daily job and it is a great help if something fails. Otherwise Maven simply reports that a test has failed and you have to find out yourself which one. Take a project with a lot of unit tests and you know what I mean. Try to find the failing test between 500 successful ones. And it is then a major pain to find out why. With this setting you see immediately which one failed and why.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@trongus.com>.
I always turn it on.

On 8/7/07, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/07, Jörg Schaible <Jo...@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
>
> > One wish: Can we add the following lines to the surefire-plugin's
> section in the pluginManagement:
> >
> > <configuration>
> >         <useFile>false</useFile>
> > </configuration>
> >
> > This will configure the plugin not to write the *.txt files into
> target/surefire-report, but to print them on the console. This is a big help
> for nightly and Gump builds, since you can see immediately which test went
> wrong with what problem.
>
> -1 (to the wish, not to the vote)
>
> The nightly and Gump builds can overwrite the configuration. And the
> majority of developers will surely don't wish to be flooded with such
> messages.
>
> Jochen
>

> --
> "Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
> a preventative effect against manipulating elections.
>
> The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
> and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
> illegal actions are forbidden.
>
> http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf

dIon Gillard
Rule #131 of Acquisition: Information is Profit.

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Hi Dennis,

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Here are the result of this vote:

+1 (binding): Dennis Lundberg, Niall Pemberton, Rahul Akolkar, Jochen
Wiedmann, Phil Steitz, Dion Gillard, Luc Maisonobe

+1 (non-binding): Ben Speakmon, Paul Benedict

I will skip the suggestion by Jörg Schaible to add some surefire
configuration at this point, as there didn't seem to be consensus around
it.

I'm proceeding with the release now.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks for doing this.

Niall

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> That's a good question. It is some Maven magic...

Sometimes, maven looks to me like black magic. I will learn the tricks.

> The scm element of the pom is rewritten automatically by the
> maven-release-plugin. When I do 'mvn release:prepare' on the parent pom,
> in a couple of days, the release plugin will create a tag in subversion
> and it will change the scm element in the pom accordingly. After that it
> will change it back to trunk again, on trunk :-)

OK, so +1 for me.

Luc

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by lu...@free.fr.