Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by kbluekens <kb...@hotmail.com> on 2009/05/12 21:57:41 UTC

Aggregrate report: calculation of Total for Average

When looking at the TOTALS in the standard Aggregrate Report, I am unable to
figure out how TOTALS for the Average column is calculated.

Counting up all average reponse times for each line item divided by the
number of line items yields a different number than the TOTALS calculated in
the response.

Why is there this discrepancy? It this Jmeter overhead time not reflected in
line items?

Re: Aggregrate report: calculation of Total for Average

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/05/2009, aidy lewis <ai...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> HI Sebb,
>
>  2009/5/13 sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>

>  >> Would it be possible to Wiki how the calculations are formed through
>  >
>  > Anyone can Wiki, but I think the place is in the supplied
>  > documentation (BTW which has been updated for the forthcoming
>  > release).
>

> Will this information be in the next release of the documentation?

I have added quite a bit; whether it is enough or not I don't know.
If you want to look at it, the nightly builds have the docs.

>  Without stepping through the code I do not have enough information to
>  provide these details on the Wiki.
>

>  >>  the Listeners and when they are exported, as this leads to a lot of
>  >>  confusion with Jmeter users?
>  >
>  > What do you mean by "when they are exported"?
>

>    I understand that when some Listeners are saved to a table some
>  rows are calculated from raw data.

The data saved by a listener is always raw data. Some listeners have a
button that allows the displayed data to be saved.

Posted by aidy lewis <ai...@googlemail.com>.
HI Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aidy lewis <ai...@googlemail.com>.
Sebb et al

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12/05/2009, kbluekens <kb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  When looking at the TOTALS in the standard Aggregrate Report, I am unable to
>  figure out how TOTALS for the Average column is calculated.
>
>  Counting up all average reponse times for each line item divided by the
>  number of line items yields a different number than the TOTALS calculated in
>  the response.
>
>  Why is there this discrepancy? It this Jmeter overhead time not reflected in
>  line items?

The total line is calculated exactly the same as the other lines,
except that all samples are included rather than all samples with the
same label.

You can't calculate averages of averages by merely adding them.