Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by shane doucette <do...@cs.usask.ca> on 2006/02/09 19:32:37 UTC

httpd, tomcat, mod_jk and LAST_MODIFIED

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with a couple of my servers, whereby the last
modified date of an shtml file isn't being properly reported by the
LAST_MODIFIED variable, if server side includes are used in a
directory that is served by mod_jk / tomcat.

So, to break down the run-on sentance...

I have servers, running httpd 2.0.55, tomcat 4.1.31, and mod_jk from
tomcat_connectors 1.2.15.  I have several users that use the
following code to report back the last modified date on their pages,
using server-side includes:

	<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED"-->

If I use server side includes on a page that is served by httpd,
outside of a tomcat context, I get the proper response, i.e. the last
modified date.  Here's an example:

	http://edjo.usask.ca/test.shtml

If I have the same page in a tomcat context, the last modified date
is reported as

	Wednesday, 31-Dec-1969 18:00:00 CST

which I believe is the UNIX epoch.  This suggests that it's just
getting '0' when it reads the last modified date.  Here's a
corresponding example:

	http://edjo.usask.ca/classes/test.shtml

All other variables report properly.

I've hunted through the mailing list archives here with no luck,
posted in other forums with no useful response, and Google hasn't
been of any help at all.  I'm hoping that SOMEBODY has seen this
problem, and has a workaround / fix.

On the example pages I've posted above, I've included information on
my setup - my server software and the included modules.  I can also
post appropriate configuration files if necessary.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

shane doucette, webmaster
Department of Computer Science, University of Saskatchewan.