Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2013/11/05 20:28:30 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Liaison with ETSI NFV ISG

Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV) is an effort to utilize server
virtualization in conjunction with industry standard servers, network
hardware switches and storage hardware to achieve significant time and
costs reductions in the Telecommunication industry. ETSI [1] has a group
(NFV ISG [2]) that is trying to develop guidelines and frameworks around
NFV (note: not standards). They have published a White Paper [3] which
makes very interesting reading.

Among other things, the group identifies

"The NFVI (Network Functions Virtualisation Infrastructure), which
provides the virtual
resources required to support the execution of the Virtualised Network
Functions. It includes
Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) hardware, accelerator components where
necessary, and
a software layer which virtualises and abstracts the underlying hardware."

This software layer is assumed to be a form of IAAS software. Currently
the group members use OpenStack as an example, but it should be our (the
CloudStack community) goal to popularize and encourage the adoption of
CloudStack as well.

The white paper [3] also goes on to say:
"
							We are interested to ensure that the Open Source community actively
engages in NFV to help create
virtualised network capabilitiesŠ

...we intend to actively collaborate with existing reference
open-source initiatives in the areas relevant to NFV, as well as to
encourage and support new ones
aligned with the NFV goals, especially when addressing new issues
identified by the NFV community."

One way to improve visibility and collaborate actively with this community
is to have a liaison with the ISG.
The liaison can contribute to the activities of the various working groups
(e.g., Management and Orchestration MANO WG) and convey the activities
and requirements of the NFV ISG back to the CloudStack community.

If the community is OK with the Liaison idea, then we could solicit
volunteers on this list to act as the Liaison(s)

Comments?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETSI
[2] http://www.etsi.org/technologies-clusters/technologies/nfv
[3] http://portal.etsi.org/NFV/NFV_White_Paper2.pdf

Re: [PROPOSAL] Liaison with ETSI NFV ISG

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
I'll do it since I actually know some of the folks

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
Looks good to me.  I'd suggest that Daan send it, since he's a PMC
member.  Tuna - we can find a way to get you engaged as well!

-chip

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Go ahead Chiradeep, please cc me (and Nguyen),

Am I on for tomorrow afternoons meeting?

regards,
Daan

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

To:

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
+1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
I volunteer you.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

> One way to improve visibility and collaborate actively with this community
> is to have a liaison with the ISG.
> The liaison can contribute to the activities of the various working groups
> (e.g., Management and Orchestration MANO WG) and convey the activities
> and requirements of the NFV ISG back to the CloudStack community.
>
> If the community is OK with the Liaison idea, then we could solicit
> volunteers on this list to act as the Liaison(s)
>
> Comments?

We should be participating here IMO.
I second Sebastien's nomination of you as our liaison

--David