Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/25 00:29:05 UTC

Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Hi

I am Ritika Nevatia, student from India aspiring to develop some Open
Source code this summer under Google Summer of Code 2015.

I'd like to contribute to Apache Directory Project and need a starting
point and guidance for the same. I am fairly competent in Java and have
attached my resume in case you need further details.

Looking forward,

*​Ritika Nevatia* *Student**, University of Mumbai*
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190
<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika>
<http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>
<http://twitter.com/beingritika>  <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>

Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
On 01/26/2015 02:12 AM, Ritika Nevatia wrote:
>>> If your decisions is fortress, we'll cover the necessary training steps on the fortress mailing list.  That way other new fortress users may benefit from your learning process.
> I would like to subscribe to fortress mailing list and go through the training steps to get started on contributing to the project.

Hello Ritika,

You may follow the instructions in the fortress tutorial, links have just been posted to the fortress mailing list.

Let me know if you have any problems getting started.  You may post these questions to the fortress list...

and welcome aboard!

Shawn

Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Posted by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,

>> If your decisions is fortress, we'll cover the necessary training steps
on the fortress mailing list.  That way other new fortress users may
benefit from your learning process.
I would like to subscribe to fortress mailing list and go through the
training steps to get started on contributing to the project.

Thanks,

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
On 01/25/2015 09:39 AM, Ritika Nevatia wrote:
> I would like to contribute to Database (Mavibot) or Web UI  (Fortress) areas as these are my strengths. However, I am also interested in taking up protocol implementation for Kerby if it lies within my capability.

Hello Ritika - welcome!

That is a fine list and I'm sure your help would be appreciated on any one of those sub-projects.  If your decisions is fortress, we'll cover the necessary training steps on the fortress mailing list.  That way other new fortress users may benefit from your learning process.

Best,

Shawn

Re: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Please register a  JIRA issue and tag it with GSOC 2015 to ensure that the
comdev group and the ASF coordinators are aware of your intention goal.
Otherwise it might get unnoticed.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: Would like to contribute: Student, GSOC Aspirant

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi all,

[...]

​
Ritika Nevatia Student, University of Mumbai
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190<tel:+91-900-430-9190>
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/linkedin.png]<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika> [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/blogger.png] <http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/beingritika>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/facebook.png] <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com>> wrote:
>> Will Apache DS be interested in mentoring as a part of Google Summer of Code 2015 as my major aim to contribute is participating in the same program.
Interesting! Maybe you could help think about it and give your thoughts why ApacheDS (or its sub-projects) should/would consider that. Something like the benefits, possibilities, successful example cases (for an Apache project) and howto. This will be a very interesting topic, would you help investigate and contribute? Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

Thank you for the very brief introduction to all the sub-projects and the welcome.
After going through the descriptions of all sub-projects, I would like to contribute to Database (Mavibot) or Web UI  (Fortress) areas as these are my strengths. However, I am also interested in taking up protocol implementation for Kerby if it lies within my capability.

As I mentioned to Kai, I could get started with a few basic tasks/solving bugs. If you could yourself assign me a part of testing/coding considering my newness with the project. Or I could help you get started with building the website and documentation as listed in the issues list and later take up some coding work.

I also had a question: Will Apache DS be interested in mentoring as a part of Google Summer of Code 2015 as my major aim to contribute is participating in the same program.

Looking forward,
Thanks
​

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Ritika,

Yes you’re right. I’m now focusing on Kerby project, have interests and would learn about other projects like Fortress also. I wish to be able to contribute more in the allowed bandwidth. The best would be more actively introducing ApacheDS and its sub-projects to more potential developers. The program is kinds of such a way. Thanks!

Regards,
Kai

I am extremely thrilled by your positive response towards Summer of Code program.
From your previous emails, I gather that you have active interests in Project Kerby and Fortress (Is that right?)

Looking forward,
​
Ritika Nevatia Student, University of Mumbai
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190<tel:+91-900-430-9190>
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/linkedin.png]<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika> [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/blogger.png] <http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/beingritika>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/facebook.png] <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com>> wrote:
Hi Ritika,

Thanks for your investigation and rational. It makes sense to me. I’m sure and happy to mentor you if everything goes well. I guess we can try and make it happen.

Posted by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kai,

I am extremely thrilled by your positive response towards Summer of Code
program.
>From your previous emails, I gather that you have active interests in
Project Kerby and Fortress (Is that right?)

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Ritika,

Posted by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emmanuel

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hello Ritika,

You are very welcome.

You may learn about the project here http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/, and you can see there’re quite a few sub projects. I guess you might need to focus on one of them according to your situation.

If you are interested in Kerberos related, you might consider to contribute to the new sub project in ApacheDS, Apache Kerby, as there’re many basic tasks for new contributors. If it’s the case please see below. For other aspects, please let us know and I guess some other guys would point you.

The GIT repo:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-kerberos.git

The master JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRKRB-102

To start with, you can pick up some sub tasks from the list. Or let we know which one you’re interested.

The project is rather new and there isn’t project web site for it yet. However, you can obtain some rough introduction and docs about it from Haox (Kerby based on Haox).
https://github.com/drankye/haox

Regards,
Kai

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Ritika,

Sounds great. Thanks !

>> If you could yourself assign me a part of testing/coding considering my newness with the project.
Maybe you can look at this and please feel free to pick up some sub tasks of it if you’d like to.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRKRB-106

Regards,
Kai

Thank you so much for a quick and welcoming response. I have had a brief look at all the sub-projects under Apache DS. Kerby and Fortress definitely excite me despite I haven't worked in implementing a kerberos protocol before or access controls.

I could get started with a few basic tasks/solving bugs. If you could yourself assign me a part of testing/coding considering my newness with the project. Or I could help you get started with building the website and documentation as listed in the issues list and later take up some coding work.

​
Ritika Nevatia Student, University of Mumbai
Mobile: +91-900-430-9190<tel:+91-900-430-9190>
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/linkedin.png]<http://in.linkedin.com/in/nevatiaritika> [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/blogger.png] <http://blogger.com/profile/beingritika.blogspot.com>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/beingritika>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/facebook.png] <http://facebook.com/nevatiaritika>

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com>> wrote:
Hi Ritika,

In case you’re interested in Fortress sub project, I copy below from Shawn’s email for me.

Hi Kai,

Thanks for showing interest.  Yes, we have several tutorials you can look at.  They are at varying levels of complexity.  The first, is understanding how to use the fortress apis themselves.  For that you can view the javadoc, which can be generated (of course), or you can have a look here:

http://symas.com/javadocs/fortress/

There are coding samples that will help with understanding how to use the fortress apis themselves.  In the fortress source, you can find them under:

basepackage/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/samples

  is a separate ant build to compile and run the samples.  You can also run as one of the targets under the main build:

ant test-samples

Take a look at the quickstart guide for more info on how to invoke the ant targets.

http://directory.apache.org/fortress/quick-start.html

For usage within a container, i.e. if you want the container to call back to fortress during security checks (using java ee security), you can hava a look at these tutorials:

1. base tomcat security: http://symas.com/kb/using-fortress-spring-and-tomcat-to-secure-wicket-6-x-applications/

2. end-to-end tomcat security: http://symas.com/kb/demonstrate-end-to-end-security-enforcement-using-open-source/

Posted by Ritika Nevatia <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kai