Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2004/01/08 07:52:46 UTC

Re: Velocity and J2EE 1.4

Jose Alfonso Martinez wrote:
> Being the newer JSP like the old JSP + Velocity, do you think that velocity will still be used in J2EE 1.4??? Are there any features in Velocity that are still not included in this version of JSP???

I'm definitely a JSP bigot (was part of JSTL spec group), but I still
use Velocity heavily in my apps.

Here are some reasons when I use Velocity (these are stream of
conscious, so not using all the proper IT buzzwords):
- I don't have to tie velocity templates to the file system (or web
path).  for example, I can use Velocity templates served from a
database/CMS without having to change the rendering.
- Independence from http requests.  Makes it easier to test and reuse.
For example, little scripts for webpages now feed into our email system
easily.  Or even better example, I can also use Velocity to easily
script title of that email message.
- Better options for testing for valid Velocity syntax.  Tomcat has JSPC
and other engines have something similar, and the JSP spec details rules
for actions to at translation time, but there is no standard way my app
to test for valid JSP syntax.
- Laying resource layers.  Our CMS will pull templates from the
database/CMS system.  If it can't find the template there, I can pull
from a hardcoded set of default templates.  I might be able to do this
with filters or error handlers in JSPs, but Velocity handlers it nicer.

Those are some of my reasons to continue using Velocity.

--
Serge Knystautas
President