Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerz.com> on 2000/07/04 15:59:38 UTC

The time has come for TomCat & Cocoon2

I've decided the time has come to migrate from JServ 1.1.1
(.1.1.1.1.1.1 *smirk*) & Cocoon 1.x on my laptop to TomCat & Cocoon
2-alpha.

So, before I get started, here are some questions :

1) Has *ANYONE* seen a Migration guide for Jserv -> TomCat? I've been
looking, and none of the docs are really that clear on it. Hints would be
great.

2) What do I need to do to change a Cocoon 1.x site into a Cocoon 2
site? The Cocoon 2 docs cover installing Cocoon 2, but what happens
next? Hints? Help? Entries in the FAQ?

Hey, any answers that I get here will likely end up in a FAQ, or better
yet, can be incorporated into the Cocoon 2 docs for everyone else in the
future.

Thanks for any answers!

--
- Kevin Sonney
  kevin@webslingerZ.com

Re: The time has come for TomCat & Cocoon2

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerz.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> I am running a couple of documents under an early Cocoon 2 (Pier's work), but
> has not dared to upgrade that to the latest stuff.

Well, I think it requires Servlet 2.2, which is TomCat, and unsupported by
JServ.

Ah well, maybe I'll just grap TomCat 3.2-dev from CVS and see how badly it
breaks things on my test system. Now, where did I put that copy of _Java
and XML_....

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com>.
Kevin Sonney wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > I would like to add that right now is not a good time to _migrate_.
> > I suggest you keep your existing setup and start off fresh with a new one.
> > There are also some major happenings in the Cocoon 2 branch and you might
> > not get something that runs at any particular point in time.
>
> Well, I understand that with TomCat I *SHOULD* be able to run Cocoon1 in
> one servlet "zone" and Cocoon2 in annother. but I don't think Cocoon2 runs
> unser JServ.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, guys...

I am running a couple of documents under an early Cocoon 2 (Pier's work), but
has not dared to upgrade that to the latest stuff.

Niclas

Re: The time has come for TomCat & Cocoon2

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerz.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> I would like to add that right now is not a good time to _migrate_.
> I suggest you keep your existing setup and start off fresh with a new one.
> There are also some major happenings in the Cocoon 2 branch and you might
> not get something that runs at any particular point in time.

Well, I understand that with TomCat I *SHOULD* be able to run Cocoon1 in
one servlet "zone" and Cocoon2 in annother. but I don't think Cocoon2 runs
unser JServ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys...

> I would recommend you to hold your horses a week or two.

I probably will - I'm gonna need a little time to get TomCat running
properly on my system, anyway. *grin* TomCat is *NOT* a
"drop-in" replacement for JServ....

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com>.