Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2007/10/10 08:20:21 UTC

Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

C. Michael,

as author of

contrib/hook-scripts/commit-block-joke.py
contrib/hook-scripts/pre-commit-check.py
contrib/hook-scripts/pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py
contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi

could you declare copyright/licence information for them?

Thanks,
Max.

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, ...etc...

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Garance A Drosihn]
> I am pretty sure that copyright law does not allow that.  The
> copyright notice has to be in the material which has that copyright.

Not in the United States, at least.  You don't have to put a copyright
notice on your work to receive copyright protection.  I think the
reason to put a notice in each file is really for the copyright
_license_ notice, which, if it weren't there, you wouldn't necessarily
be able to assume.  Because, while copyright protection attaches
automatically by law, a grant of license does not.

But this does bring up a question of why these things should always
have to have file-level granularity.  I don't usually see copyright
notices on each page of a book, or even each chapter.  You could argue
that each file can be downloaded separately, via the svn repository,
but by that argument you could also download only the last half of a
file, if you really wanted.

What's needed is merely a way to _know_ what copyright license is
granted in all cases.  It's just that declaring this per-file is the
best way to do that in an open source environment where lots of parties
have copyright interest, and individual files are sometimes copied from
one project to another.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, ...etc...

Posted by Garance A Drosihn <dr...@rpi.edu>.
At 9:41 AM -0400 10/10/07, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>Max Bowsher wrote:
>>  C. Michael,
>>
>>  as author of
>>
>>  contrib/hook-scripts/commit-block-joke.py
>>  contrib/hook-scripts/pre-commit-check.py
>>  contrib/hook-scripts/pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py
>>  contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
>>
>>  could you declare copyright/licence information for them?
>
>Any chance we could just have a policy that says, "If
>copyright/license are not declared, they default to what
>Subversion itself uses?"

I am pretty sure that copyright law does not allow that.  The copyright
notice has to be in the material which has that copyright.  Otherwise,
we (programmers) wouldn't waste all this disk space to repeat the same
40 lines of copyright notice in each file which has only 30 lines of
actual code.

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> C. Michael,
>>
>> as author of
>>
>> contrib/hook-scripts/commit-block-joke.py
>> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-commit-check.py
>> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py
>> contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
>>
>> could you declare copyright/licence information for them?
>
> Any chance we could just have a policy that says, "If copyright/license are
> not declared, they default to what Subversion itself uses?"

Well, we do, sort of, have that unstated policy, but we explicitly
exclude contrib/ from that.

Max.

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Oct 10, 2007, at 9:41 AM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> C. Michael,
>>
>> as author of
>>
>> contrib/hook-scripts/commit-block-joke.py
>> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-commit-check.py
>> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py
>> contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
>>
>> could you declare copyright/licence information for them?
>
> Any chance we could just have a policy that says, "If copyright/
> license are
> not declared, they default to what Subversion itself uses?"

But we can't back date this though?

Blair

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
>> Note: CLA == "Copyright License Agreement", and is not the same as
>> assigment of copyright.  I.e., it is *not* a transfer of ownership,
>> it is merely a granting of rights.
>
> Actually, "Contributor License Agreement" (at least in the Apache sense).

I'm sorry, I knew that -- just braino-d.

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> writes:
> Frankly, most of our copyright notices are lies: the contributions are
> really owned (in copyright terms) by the individual contributors or
> their (contemporaneous) employees, and not just by CollabNet.  I recall
> that there was talk of getting signed CLAs to assign rights to
> Subversion, Inc., but I don't know whether anyone's driving that.

I'm driving it, just currently taken over by 1.5 work and some other
things.  We will get to eventually -- I hope soon after the Munich
Subversion Conference next week (http://subconf.com/).

Note: CLA == "Copyright License Agreement", and is not the same as
assigment of copyright.  I.e., it is *not* a transfer of ownership,
it is merely a granting of rights.

-Karl

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:58:34AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [C. Michael Pilato]
> > Any chance we could just have a policy that says, "If copyright/license are
> > not declared, they default to what Subversion itself uses?"
>
> Well, contributors need to _know_ their contribution is going to be
> licensed in that way, so I suppose this needs to be written down
> somewhere.  Something like:
>
> | By posting to this {mailing list / issue tracker} a patch that does
> | not carry a copyright notice, you agree to assign copyright to
> | CollabNet.  Further, by posting a patch that does not carry a
> | copyright license, you agree that your work can be distributed under
> | the same terms as Subversion.
>
> Though I wonder if that's enforceable.

<IANAL>
No, it's not.  You can't assign copyright implicitly: some places (e.g.
the US) require a signed copyright assignment, and some (Germany?) don't
allow for transfer of copyright at all.

So for example, the FSF requires copyright assignments, while the ASF
requires instead that people sign Contributor License Agreements (which
give them much of the benefits of copyright assignation without actually
transferring copyright).

Frankly, most of our copyright notices are lies: the contributions are
really owned (in copyright terms) by the individual contributors or
their (contemporaneous) employees, and not just by CollabNet.  I recall
that there was talk of getting signed CLAs to assign rights to
Subversion, Inc., but I don't know whether anyone's driving that.
</IANAL>

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[C. Michael Pilato]

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Licence of commit-block-joke.py, pre-commit-check.py, pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py, tweak-log.cgi

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> C. Michael,
>
> as author of
>
> contrib/hook-scripts/commit-block-joke.py
> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-commit-check.py
> contrib/hook-scripts/pre-lock-require-needs-lock.py
> contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
>
> could you declare copyright/licence information for them?

Oops, missed

contrib/server-side/svn-obliterate.py

from that list.

Max.