Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/05/24 20:02:40 UTC

Re: Criteria for commit access

> Having said this, there is nothing wrong with discussing criteria for
> proposing committers. In a conversation I had with Stefano Mazzocchi a
> long time ago, he outlined the reasons for his liberal policy (for
> granting commit access). I tend to oscillate between a liberal policy
> and a conservative one.  A discussion on this topic is very well
> deserved imho.

And thats fine, I just think it should be up to the community in the
end.  Providing non-binding guidence is good, but restricting the rights
of the Tomcat community is a very unfree and open attitude.

> --
> Ceki
>
> ps: The tomcat developers should complete the vote on Dan's
> candidacy. His candidacy should not be hostage to this discussion.

Agreed, and lets try and change the subject of all replying threads,
think how the poor guy must feel to fall victim to the general @ Jakarta
trial by incident.  He just submits some patches and suddenly his name
is at the top of Google with a bunch of guys arguing whether he should
be admitted.  Lets make this subject what it is. (and remove his name
from it)

-Andy