Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/18 18:57:44 UTC

Issues with extraction content of PDF files

Hi,

I'm indexing some PDF documents in Solr. However, for certain PDF files,
there are chinese text in the documents, but after indexing, what is
indexed in the content is either a series of "??????" or an empty content.

i've also tried on the Tika app, and I get the same results.

What could be the reason that causes this?

I've shared one of the file with the issue on dropbox, which you can access
via the link here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rufi9esmnsmzhmw/Desmophen%2B670%2BBAe.pdf?dl=0

Regards,
Edwin

RE: Issues with extraction content of PDF files

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Colleagues,
  So that you don't have to do the initial diagnosis at least.  From [0]:

 [0]  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201512.mbox/%3CBY2PR09MB11297223E13E266CFB2A5FFC7E00@BY2PR09MB112.namprd09.prod.outlook.com%3E

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Don't know enough about that part myself, the best would be to read
about it here:

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf

Tilman

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 29 Dec 2015, at 00:34, Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply Tilman.
>
> Would like to find out, is the content extraction issue of this caused by the Identity-H encoding?

Most likely. Identity-H is basically just "no encoding", so there needs to be a ToUnicode  map in order to extract the text (which there isn't).

-- John

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.