Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/07/13 01:21:52 UTC

srm.conf --> what does srm stand for?

server resource management?

I am thinking of cleaning up the -dist config files...

Re: srm.conf --> what does srm stand for?

Posted by Gary Wisniewski <ga...@spidereye.com.au>.
At 19:52 12/07/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> server resource management?
>>
>> I am thinking of cleaning up the -dist config files...
>I would vote to consolidate this into one file. The 3 file system
>is kind of silly.

It's been silly for a long time, but I'd recommend keeping the
three files, just as a courtesy.  FrontPage ISP installation,
for example, looks for directives in srm.conf, and would
blow-up otherwise.  I also know of a few admin script packages
which assume the old NCSA-style config file meanings.

Gary

------------------------------
Gary Wisniewski
Spider Eye Studios Pty. Ltd., Australia, +61 3 9415 6700
[Formerly GUI Online Productions]

RE: srm.conf --> what does srm stand for?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> > I am thinking of cleaning up the -dist config files...
>
> I expect to finish the companion CD-ROM for my Apache book
> within the next one or two weeks that includs some sets of
> example config-files for various purposes (basic, proxy,
> virtual hosts etc.)... It was my intention -- when I
> finished the example configs -- to throw in a mail about
> that topic (you were just to fast Marc ;-)).
>
> If someone sees any use in it I can post some of the files
> to the list (as soon as they are finished)... maybe some
> parts can be merged into the -dist files.

Possible.  Certainly worth taking a look at.

I am still undecided on how the config files should be handled.

Currently we have config files with random junk spewed throughout, in
little particular order.  Some important stuff is missing, some silly
stuff is there.  There are no defined sections other than the three files.

More samples would be good.  I am tossing around the idea of a BSD
LINT-type thing with _all_ the directives in; not designed to be used as
is, but just to pull examples from.  Not sure it is worthwhile.

I am also thinking of having saperate segments.  So you have a sample
proxy segment with fully annotated directives that you can pull in to the
config file if you want the proxy, etc.

I'm working on a basic cleanup right now, ie. improve comments for what is
there, remove old crap that shouldn't be there, put in a couple things
that should, and put it in some sort of order.  For now I am not going to
enter the one vs. three files argument since that is easy to deal with
later.

RE: srm.conf --> what does srm stand for?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Marc Slemko:

> server resource management?

Yes, whatever that means... ;-)

> I am thinking of cleaning up the -dist config files...

I expect to finish the companion CD-ROM for my Apache book
within the next one or two weeks that includs some sets of
example config-files for various purposes (basic, proxy,
virtual hosts etc.)... It was my intention -- when I
finished the example configs -- to throw in a mail about
that topic (you were just to fast Marc ;-)).

If someone sees any use in it I can post some of the files
to the list (as soon as they are finished)... maybe some
parts can be merged into the -dist files.

Just tell me if I'm to intrusive with my suggestion. :-)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht
sfx@unix-ag.org