Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Naomi Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2019/06/10 20:48:47 UTC

Concerns about process

hey folks,

two things that have happened in the past couple of days that concern me

the first is that a board report was prepared and sent to the board by the
Chair without any input from the committee. (Gris acknowledged this a
separate follow-up email she sent to dev@diversity)

SIDE NOTE: I am subscribed to board@ but I didn't receive the original copy
of the board report. so I am wondering which list it was sent to. perhaps I
have a misconfigured email client?

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: it is generally a good idea to copy dev@ when sending
the report to board@. that way, there is no need to send an additional
followup notification to dev@diversity

my second concern is that I learned about a proposed D&I budget request
only because Jim copied in the private@diversity list on a thread that
seems to have been started on opperations@ (to which I am not subscribed)

we had a brainstorming thread about our budget request last month, but to
the best of my knowledge, there has been no chance for the committee to
work on the actual proposal that was sent. I have seen no emails about it,
no draft text, no requests for review, etc

as far PMCs are concerned, Chairs (who also serve as the VP of the
respective project) are not "project leaders". they function as an elected
representative of the committee to the board and are responsible for
foundation-level admin but they do not hold any special decision-making
power above-and-beyond a regular committee member

cf. https://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#chair

we are not a PMC, though. so I am not sure how things are meant to operate
with this committee. (this is one of the reasons I suggested that we draft
some bylaws that would clarify this sort of thing)

I think that we should operate the way that a standard PMC does. that is,
decisions are made on-list, *by the committee*, and the Chair (i.e., VP
D&I) has the primary function of interfacing with the board

apologies, Gris, if we're on the same page and these were both just
procedural oversights!! most new committees have teething troubles and
there's no reason we should be any different. but I figure this is an
important issue and one we should get clarity on as early as possible

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Well when I started as VP Fundraising, there was little committee functions
per se so I recruited people to it, created the private mailing list,
continued & expanded meetings with Virtual to include more people, created
annual goals, created sponsor tracking spreadsheets, created agendas /
minutes for committee meetings, setup a standing meeting and used g suite
to draft my reports.

All my reports: board, quarterly and yearly, I drafted in g suite in
advance so review, comments and additions were encouraged before they were
submitted.

I also put proposals on drive for creation as well for collaboration.

I did the reports as running reports so one file with a the reports, new
newest on top.

I used a public team drive and a private team drive as there is a lot more
for fundraising that requires privacy than most any place at the foundation.

And any reports submitted would be ccd to a list.

There had been complaints before that fundraising lacked transparency and I
think this laid a good foundation.

IMO Gris just needs a few months to go through the motions because she's
not familiar with Apache processes.

Fundraising uses a lot of g suite tooling which I think was the right tool
chosen by the people doing the work.  Gris right now is exploring our tools
available be it Jira or confluence or G suite or o365.  I am happy to
advise her on what is best and how things work to the best of my
capabilities.

HTH, KAM

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

As someone said there’s no one way of doing it, it varies from the chair just submitting what the PMC’s members write to the chair doing all or most of the work.

My only suggestion is that 48h may be a little short time to review, for releases we generally allow 72h hours. Some of the project I'm involved in have the board report up for a week or two before is it submitted.

The incubator report has been done on the wiki and that seems to work well, but give a 100’s of people have to be involved, that probably solving a different problem. We were ask last month by the board to move to a markdown format and that seems to have improved it’s readability. Github also supports markdown.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi folks,

I am very happy to see this discussion, it is part of defining ourselves.

Let's decide in how we want to continue with two things:
1) Reports to the president
2) Operational matters

Please vote for 1 & 2 or suggest modifications

1) Reports

I agree 100% with Ross, they should reflect what happened in the list. For
this one I literally just curated it from conversations in the mailing
list, stats from Pony Mail and Jira.

My preference would be that *anyone* from the committee starts the draft 7
days before the board meeting and notifies dev@ with a call for comments.
The call for comments should be open for 48h. Then that same person and I
can work on finalizing the report and I'll send it via SVN and that person
can send to dev@ on the Friday before the meeting (the deadline). I'd like
to suggest we use GitHub***.

2) For operational matters such as the budget

I'd open up a Jira for contributions. I will update that Jira and dev@ with
a final write up of the proposal or the final decision *based on the input
provided*. I personally don't see a need for more comments if input was
considered.

****Why Github? It has a lower entry barrier for new folks to the ASF or
software development in general. There is also more tutorials and in dif.
Languages available.

Re: Concerns about process

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

[1] https://s.apache.org/lY4K
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/calendar.txt

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yes, and as a committee member I strongly suggest that we operate like a PMC, where team members are consulted before sending important things like Board reports or budget requests.

It’s also a valuable way to get feedback from the rest of the committee before submitting the report. They could point out improvements or omissions and  many of them have experience in writing board reports and may have a better idea of what the board likes to see in them.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Ross has it exactly right. Gris followed the process.  As to the steps
before the report is filed... there is (dare I say it) a lot of diversity
in how those reports are developed. That's entirely up to the VP and the
committee.

As VP Whimsy, I directly post the report without copying the committee.
That's never caused problems. Whether that approach is appropriate here or
not, I'll leave to the VP and committee

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 6:36 PM Ross Gardler

Re: Concerns about process

Re: Concerns about process

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.