Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Menaka Madushanka <me...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/31 17:12:38 UTC

Taverna Language Command line tool - command line options prototype

Hi all,
I created a simple command line argument setup for the language.
Here is the usage
     usage: tverna [-option] [arguments]
                -c,--convert <format> <workflow_file>   Convert workflows
into the given  format
                -h,--help                               Display help
information
                -i,--inspect <workflow_file>            Inspect the workflow
                -o,--optional                           Execute some other
Commands
                -v,--validate <workflow_file>           Validate the
workflow

<format> the formats used in command line prototypes.

I appreciate any feedback regarding command line options that I have used,
what are there to be changed etc.

I used the apache commons-cli for command line parsing.

Thank you very much
regards
Menaka

--
Menaka Madushanka Jayawardena
Faculty of Engineering, <http://www.pdn.ac.lk/eng>

Re: Taverna Language Command line tool - command line options prototype

Posted by Menaka Madushanka <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan,

Do you have examples of what could be executed?

 I thought of executing 'workflowmaker' like commands through this....

How do you specify the output file of a conversion?

  I did not consider that because the output file would have the same file
name as the input file.

> Can it take more than one file?

 Yes it can take more than one file. The string that it takes as argument
should be split and get the file names.

I did not consider the general commands that are in use, such as -v,
because I thought to give the direct idea of what the command would do.

Also I tried to keep the number of commands as low as possible so that it
will be easy for the users.

I'll consider the facts and make the modifications.

Thank you very much

Regards
Menaka

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 31-May-15 16:12, Menaka Madushanka wrote:
> Hi all,
> I created a simple command line argument setup for the language.
> Here is the usage
>       usage: tverna [-option] [arguments]
>                  -c,--convert <format> <workflow_file>   Convert workflows
> into the given  format
>                  -h,--help                               Display help
> information
>                  -i,--inspect <workflow_file>            Inspect the workflow
>                  -o,--optional                           Execute some other
> Commands
>                  -v,--validate <workflow_file>           Validate the
> workflow
>
> <format> the formats used in command line prototypes.
>
> I appreciate any feedback regarding command line options that I have used,
> what are there to be changed etc.
>
> I used the apache commons-cli for command line parsing.

I would expect -o to choose the _output_ file. Do you have exampes of
what could be executed? -x would be a better choice.

I do not think -i is a good idea for inspect as it suggests _input_ to me.

-v is normally used for _version_

How do you specify the output file of a conversion? Can it take more
than one file?

> Thank you very much
> regards
> Menaka