Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by James Baker <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/15 16:22:02 UTC

Licensing of Sub Dependencies under Different Licenses

Hi,

Apache Tika is licensed under the ASL2 license, but a number of it's
dependencies aren't - for example *Java UnRar* is licensed under the UnRar
license, and *c3p0:JDBC DataSources/Resource Pools* is under LGPL.

I'm aware that, according to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html,
Java UnRar can be included in binary form so that's ok; but that same page
explicitly says LGPL isn't allowed within Apache projects.

Can someone explain to me how this works?

We are looking at releasing our own open source software, dependent on
Tika, under ASL2 but our IP people are getting a bit jumpy about the
sub-dependencies and we're trying to work out exactly what we can and can't
do. Any clarification anyone can give would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
James

Re: Licensing of Sub Dependencies under Different Licenses

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Noting however that (looking on my phone, so this isn't deep review) c3po
appears to be EPL/LGPL dual licensed. Where EPL is listed on
resolved.html's binary form section.

Hen

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.