Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Libo Yu <yu...@hotmail.com> on 2014/04/30 17:10:07 UTC

0.8.1 cpu usage

Hi team,

We have noticed that the cpu usage of 0.8.1 has more than doubled compared to beta1. I captured a thread dump and compared source code. I believe the higher cpu usage is introduced by the change of timeout value used by selector.select() in SocketServer.scala.In beta1 it is 500ms. In 0.8.1 it is 300ms.The thread does more frequent checking and hence causes higher cpu usage. As we don't run kafka on dedicated servers, this will impact other applications on the same servers.

If i revert it back to 500, any impact other than performance compromise? Any other way to lower cpu usage? T would be ideal if this becomes a configurable parameter.

Thanks,

Libo

Re: 0.8.1 cpu usage

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hm, this seems counter-intuitive. Running 3x per second vs 2x per second
should not really register on a modern CPU, right? Can you try this and see
if you notice any difference?

RE: 0.8.1 cpu usage