Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/08/03 18:55:00 UTC

any additional newt features?

hey \u2014

while we\u2019re updating newt, any additional features folks want/gripes?

major unfinished items i am tracking:

- newt needs a default option to start JLink/openocd, but not
automatically launch gdb on newt debug.  This will allow easier Eclipse
integration for debugging.

- newt sync needs to \u2018git status\u2019 before wiping out the current
directory.  right now, newt sync just goes in, \u2018rm -rf\u2019s the
repository it\u2019s resynching, and then git clones it again.  this should
probably be:

   - git status
   - prompt for changes (y/n)?
   - git pull origin <branch>
   - if that fails, print error message, let user automatically resolve

and retain the current (rm -f behavior) for a forced override.

- need the ability to create new packages - newt new \u2014skeleton pkg
pkg-dir/, which creates a package from a skeleton.  Add common skeletons
for drivers, etc.

- global namespacing of remote repositories.  Right now repositories
have a name, but there can be duplicates of that name.  we should
consider doing something \u201cgo\u201d style, where the repository name is a
URL, that resolves to the repository itself \u2014 and newt flattens that
hierarchy, i.e.: http://github.com/apache/incubator-mynewt-core becomes
github.com.apache.incubator-mynewt-core in terms of name.
	- Add a local way of aliasing these repositories.

- newt currently has a set of package search directories.  Adding new
directories requires modifications to newt.  By default, it should work
the opposite, where every directory is assumed to be a project search
directory, and we should ignore directories specified in the project.yml
file.

Sterling

Re: any additional newt features?

Posted by Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 11:55:00AM -0700, Sterling Hughes wrote:
> hey \u2014
>
> while we\u2019re updating newt, any additional features folks want/gripes?
[...]

Here are two features that I think would be very useful, and quite easy
to implement:

* Multithreaded builds
* Tab completion

Chris