Posted to ruby-dev@lucene.apache.org by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se> on 2007/03/21 07:14:11 UTC

SV: Re: SV: Re: Simple Web Interface

Hi:

Thanks for your reply. Moving the discussion to ruby-dev@lucene.

Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> skrev:
On Mar 20, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:
> Erik Hatcher  skrev:

> That's always been the plan.  Currently Flare is just an ugly hack as
> a Rails application that consists of a couple of Rails controllers
> and some view templates.  Nothing fancy, and its not reusable in
> other Rails applications as-is.

Yes, true but it has served me well, i.e. getting to know solr-ruby via
flare.

> I have to start re-thinking about the current app that i am
> developing.
> How so?   How are you currently using Flare?   You're about the only
> one I know of, so I'm quite curious how you've made use of the little
> hack that it currently is :)

OK, without giving you all the secret :-). i.e. its a search site..I
mean search is the main action everything else app wise is supporting
the search functions so to me it doesn't matter so much if flare is
plugin or an rails app. But making flare a plugin is a good thing makes
it more portable.

Well as I mentioned earlier flare rails app have served me well. I have
left flare code i.e (browse_controller) as is, and started to build out the
application instead i.e. users/login/settings/admin etc.. Actually I spent
quite a lot of time "feeding solr - i.e pusing XML for indexing". As you
might re-call my mail regarding Atom support.

There are couple of things that I miss from flare.. honestly i am not sure
if i miss it from flare or solr. But I was planning on getting to it
once I solved my "solr feeding issue". Some of them are already in flares
roadmap as I can see .. but these are also "big discussion stuff" i.e tagging,
top-down faceting, "frequency based faceting" etc. In general I am trying to
do this but using solr/flare some stuff are possible as is but not all have a
look .. Now you know the secret :-) ha ha!

http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/

> If you could fill us in more on what you're doing, we'd be happy to
> take your use cases into account as we revamp it.

Thank you.

kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

SV: Re: SV: Re: flare - missing cat field??

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
Hi Erik:

Thanks for the tip. I revert my setup to standard in context.rb and
it works. I would like to try dismax in the future. Again thanks
for the prompt feedback. Please note i am in a development environment
so I like to try bleeding edge stuff :-)

Cheers

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
--- Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> skrev:

> What do you have configured in your solrconfig.xml for the dismax
> request handler?   You've likely got it referenced in there erroneously.
>
> 	Erik

Yes! you are correct. But now i have a new error. I have the exact same solrconf/schema from
solr-ruby/solr/conf .. I am using the sample data..I can perform search using the solr-admin both
with standard handler and dismax. But not with flare...:-( Now I can't even get to the flare start
page..

I am running the trunk version of solr and there has been some dismax code changes..

SEVERE: org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: missing query string
        at
org.apache.solr.request.DisMaxRequestHandler.handleRequestBody(DisMaxRequestHandler.java:230)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:77)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:654)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.doGet(SolrServlet.java:66)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.doPost(SolrServlet.java:53)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:616)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:428)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(WebApplicationHandler.java:830)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:137)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(WebApplicationHandler.java:821)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationHandler.java:471)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:568)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1530)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationContext.java:633)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1482)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:820)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:986)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:837)

Re: flare - missing cat field??

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

flare - missing cat field??

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
Hi:

I am as always bit confused :-) When you browse facets ..it works but the search box throws out a
missing cat field.. I am using the delicous sample data..NOTE .. Auto suggest query is using
standard query handler instead of dismax..

Browse ..

Mar 29, 2007 1:13:54 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: null
facet.limit=20&wt=ruby&rows=25&start=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&fl=*,score&qt=dismax&hl.fl=author_text,full_title_text,pages_text,description_text,title_text,asin_text&facet.field=publisher_facet&facet.field=country_facet&facet.field=genre_facet&facet.field=medium_facet&facet.field=published_year_facet&facet.field=rating_facet&fq=publisher_facet:"Harper+Paperbacks"&pf=author_text&pf=full_title_text&pf=pages_text&pf=description_text&pf=title_text&pf=asin_text&hl=true&facet.sort=true
0 42

Search using the search box..

Mar 29, 2007 1:15:23 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: undefined field cat
        at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.getDynamicFieldType(IndexSchema.java:765)
        at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema$SolrQueryAnalyzer.getAnalyzer(IndexSchema.java:275)
        at org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema$SolrIndexAnalyzer.tokenStream(IndexSchema.java:253)
        at org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser.getFieldQuery(QueryParser.java:423)
        at org.apache.solr.search.SolrQueryParser.getFieldQuery(SolrQueryParser.java:78)
        at
org.apache.solr.util.SolrPluginUtils$DisjunctionMaxQueryParser.getFieldQuery(SolrPluginUtils.java:775)
        at
org.apache.solr.util.SolrPluginUtils$DisjunctionMaxQueryParser.getFieldQuery(SolrPluginUtils.java:763)
        at org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser.Term(QueryParser.java:1077)
        at org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser.Clause(QueryParser.java:964)
        at org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser.Query(QueryParser.java:892)
        at org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser.parse(QueryParser.java:145)
        at
org.apache.solr.request.DisMaxRequestHandler.handleRequestBody(DisMaxRequestHandler.java:238)
[...]

wt=ruby&facet.limit=20&rows=25&start=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&fl=*,score&q=(corwell)&qt=dismax&hl.fl=author_text,full_title_text,pages_text,description_text,title_text,asin_text&facet.field=publisher_facet&facet.field=country_facet&facet.field=genre_facet&facet.field=medium_facet&facet.field=published_year_facet&facet.field=rating

Auto suggest

Mar 29, 2007 1:15:12 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: null
facet.limit=5&wt=ruby&rows=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&fl=*,score&q=*:*&qt=standard&facet.missing=true&facet.field=text&facet.prefix=cor&facet.sort=true
0 2
Mar 29, 2007 1:15:13 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: null
facet.limit=5&wt=ruby&rows=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&fl=*,score&q=*:*&qt=standard&facet.missing=true&facet.field=text&facet.prefix=corwe&facet.sort=true
0 3
Mar 29, 2007 1:15:14 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: null
facet.limit=5&wt=ruby&rows=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&fl=*,score&q=*:*&qt=standard&facet.missing=true&facet.field=text&facet.prefix=corwell&facet.sort=true
0 1

kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

SV: Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: Simple Web Interface

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
--- Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> skrev:

> Solr supports facet queries.  In your example, Solr could be asked
> for a count of all documents (matching other constraints perhaps too,
> of course) that have an Author field... that would be
> &facet.query=Author:[* TO *], or the opposite, all documents that do
> not have an Author field with &facet.query=-Author:[* TO *].

I can't seems to get it working i.e both the cases i get the same results.
I am using the delicous sample data and trying to do
&facet.query=-field_name:[* TO *] and &facet.query=field_name:[* TO *]

Example on delicous data

Saved Search
&facet.query=author_text:[* TO *] (12)
&facet.query=-author_text:[* TO *] (12)

&facet.query=genre_facet:[* TO *] (12)
&facet.query=-genre_facet:[* TO *] (12)

Is the above is correct behavior.. i mean "-author_text" or "-genre_facet"
means - Don't show me any record which HAS a genre_facet? no? shouldn't
the result be 0.. no?

> Give saved searches a try in Flare for an example, type each of those
> expressions as unique constraints and save them.  You'll see what I
> mean then, I think.

>Also, look at the individual facet pages (the
> "browse" links by each facet) and see the last entry that shows "---
> NO VALUE ---".  Is this getting warmer to what you're after?

Yes. This works.. does that mean above is a bug..no?

> Let me know if the above information doesn't do what you're after,
> but I think we got the use-case you're after covered.

However I am not sure I did the test correctly. But lets take the
delicous data for this explanation. If you try the search box -- right side
and type in -- you will see a drop down list with david(2). Now
what I would like to show to the user is the following

Internet (4) .. which is not a problem as we are already doing that in flare.
But in a case where i don't know the what is in my index I would like to show
"top query terms" or "top 100 query terms" or "all queries having more then 50
matches" etc. But present it in following way... for the above example

Internet (4)
  - genere_facet (2)
  - description_text (2)

Well, I am after newsmap. I need to develop that functionality.. in newsmap
you have facets which are geographic (Uk, US, World) and subject matter
(Technology, Business, etc).. in my case there are lot more subject matter but if
you look at newsmap you will see that they have "a news title" and when you move
the mouse you will see "number of times the news item is in the media". I am
not sure I can do that with solr out of the box.. well I started to look
at the search end of the puzzle for my project today.. I will soon find out.

Again I appreciate your help and time. Any pointers are always welcome

Regards

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 21, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:
> this brings me to the frequency-based faceting ..
> for lack of better term. I am trying to figure out a way to present
> the index based on frequency i.e. if i could find a way to do reverse
> example :
>
> By Author (15)
>  - abc (8)
>  - xyz (7)
> By Country ..
>  - ..
>  - ..
>
> Keyword XX or Phrase YYY
>  - Author (15)
>  - Country (25)
>
> So in the case above the keyword is dynamic and its based on a
> frequency
> i.e top 100 keywords or phrase beside the stop words etc.. This is
> what I
> am labeling as "dynamic frequency based faceting" like the example URL
> above..

Solr supports facet queries.  In your example, Solr could be asked
for a count of all documents (matching other constraints perhaps too,
of course) that have an Author field... that would be
&facet.query=Author:[* TO *], or the opposite, all documents that do
not have an Author field with &facet.query=-Author:[* TO *].

Give saved searches a try in Flare for an example, type each of those
expressions as unique constraints and save them.  You'll see what I
mean then, I think.  Also, look at the individual facet pages (the
"browse" links by each facet) and see the last entry that shows "---
NO VALUE ---".  Is this getting warmer to what you're after?

> Maybe I don't know enough maybe its possible to do with solr today.
> I have
> a feeling that one must extend request handler.. but I haven't
> looked into
> it yet.

Let me know if the above information doesn't do what you're after,
but I think we got the use-case you're after covered.

> I am trying out the flare as plugin I will get back to you with
> feedback. That
> was very fast converting it to flare plugin.

again, it's a hack at this point.  much more work is needed to make
it easily configurable, and to put the templates into the plugin too
(and make them overridable/extensible too).

	Erik

SV: Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: Simple Web Interface

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
--- Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> skrev:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 2:14 AM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by top-down or frequency-based faceting.
> Could you elaborate?

> > http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/
>
> Very cool!   So this is what you are driving with Solr currently?
> Where does Flare factor into this?

No no, sorry the above site is not mine :-) I am using it at as an
example use case that I have. Among other things the above site
capture some of the stuff that I am planning on doing i.e. using
flare/solr-ruby. this brings me to the frequency-based faceting ..
for lack of better term. I am trying to figure out a way to present
the index based on frequency i.e. if i could find a way to do reverse
example :

By Author (15)
 - abc (8)
 - xyz (7)
By Country ..
 - ..
 - ..

Keyword XX or Phrase YYY
 - Author (15)
 - Country (25)

So in the case above the keyword is dynamic and its based on a frequency
i.e top 100 keywords or phrase beside the stop words etc.. This is what I
am labeling as "dynamic frequency based faceting" like the example URL
above.. They above site is doing it by using some sort of "tree map algorithm"
However no one can use it cos its patented and its cost money :-(, I have
already tried.. is this something in your plan?

Maybe I don't know enough maybe its possible to do with solr today. I have
a feeling that one must extend request handler.. but I haven't looked into
it yet.

I have some more thoughts regarding how will i implement flare/solr but have
to wait before I get passed the first test.

I am trying out the flare as plugin I will get back to you with feedback. That
was very fast converting it to flare plugin.

cheers

Posted by Antonio Eggberg <an...@yahoo.se>.
The URL behind treemap.. if anyone is interested..

http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap/index.shtml

Cheers

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 21, 2007, at 2:14 AM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:
> Well as I mentioned earlier flare rails app have served me well. I
> have
> left flare code i.e (browse_controller) as is, and started to build
> out the
> application instead i.e. users/login/settings/admin etc..

So your situation is a prime example of why Flare needs to be a
plugin.  What you really want is your own custom Rails application,
with the ability to easily add Flare into it at specific points.

> There are couple of things that I miss from flare.. honestly i am
> not sure
> if i miss it from flare or solr. But I was planning on getting to it
> once I solved my "solr feeding issue". Some of them are already in
> flares
> roadmap as I can see .. but these are also "big discussion stuff"
> i.e tagging,
> top-down faceting, "frequency based faceting" etc.

Tagging is not something that I plan on implementing in Flare in the
short term.  I just don't have a need for it at this level.  I have
implemented tagging in Collex, which is "Flare-like" in that it is a
Rails application that leverages solr-ruby, but it also contains some
custom (and, IMO, weakly scalable) Solr request handlers and a lot of
intertwining of a specific domain (19th century literature/art).

The long term goal of Flare is to embrace tagging as a first-class
feature, but my personal development philosophy is to drive these
features by real-world implementations.  One of the key benefits to
Flare being open source is for others to extend it and contribute
those features back.  With Flare becoming a plugin, it makes it
easier for folks to use it and offer patches.  Tagging will involve
clever use of Solr, not just on the Flare side of things.  Here is
some brainstorming that has occurred on Solr+tagging: <http://
wiki.apache.org/solr/UserTagDesign>